Thursday, February 14, 2008

Too Much Chocolate!


I cannot believe I have uttered those words. I have barely recovered from the Christmas chocolate overload and now I have been gifted more chocolate. Two boxes of chocolate, two chocolate roses, umpteen chocolate hearts. The candy bowl over floweth!

It is nice to be appreciated, but I may never regain my girlish figure. Other teachers throw it out, but that seems so wasteful. Valentines has become a huge sugar fest. I momentarily felt bad that I didn't send candy with my children on their Valentines. And then I returned to my senses and realized they didn't need to bring candy.

I forgot to even bring Valentines for my students. So over lunch I quickly filled a positive behavior slip for every one. Each slip included a compliment about that student. It was much more meaningful for them and they could turn it in to the office for the weekly drawing. And it reinforced a more important message about what today should have been about.

In the meantime, any one want some chocolate?

6 comments:

laurie said...

put it in the freezer. this happens to me from time to time, too--at birthdays or christmas. it lasts forever in the freezer, and because it's rock hard you're not tempted to just munch on it.

you can take it out and thaw it when the time comes...

and your valentines for the kids! what a great idea! that's quick thinking, ped.

Potty Mummy said...

My oldest came home from nursery with a pack of love hearts. Nice gesture - but where are the parents who arranged it when the e-numbers kick in?

Kim said...

I remember my mother coming home with, literally, an entire grocery bag full of valentines and candy from her students. This year, I found a lovely "World's Best Teacher" magnet for his teacher's filing cabinet. At Christmas, I sent little notecards. After growing up in a teacher's home, my only rule for teacher presents is: no food!

Susan said...

Mmmm. Chocolate, yes, please. Seriously save it, but not for too long. Easter is early this year!

-Ann said...

I've given up bread and sweets for Lent. Just thinking about chocolate right now is tough!

Attie said...

well i sent little notebooks with hearts on them,pencils with hearts on them,bouncy little ball with a heart inside,a little thing of mega bubbles all in a cute bagg with hearts on it!!!!!!!! No candy!! I think they all liked it!!