Thursday, February 7, 2008

Meal Planning


Planning meals is a huge chore for me. I am not excited about eating, so making food is even less interesting.

So tonight I enlisted the help of Ducky.

Me: Help me plan this weeks dinners.

Ducky: We should start eating tofu.

Me: No, it is gross.

Ducky: It's good and when did you ever eat it?

Me: High school.

Ducky: It has changed since then.

Me: I don't think so.

Ducky: We should eat more fish. (More than none.)

Me: No, I don't like fish. I don't like the smell of fish, the taste of fish, the texture of fish. If you want fish, eat a tuna sandwich.

Ducky: It is good for you.

Me: I don't care. If I have to make a meal, I at least want to sort of like it.

Ducky: But it is really good for you.

Me: Really don't care. I already don't really want to eat food. I am not making fish. You can cook it outside on the grill this summer, and eat it out there too.

I told you I was picky, opinionated and stubborn. I don't know where the boys got it from. Needless to say, fish and tofu are not on the menu this week. And paying sweetP to eat seems to be working. He ate two long green beans, two small bites of pork chop and two small bites of rice pilaf without complaint and in 15 minutes. Then ate a cheese sandwich.

Maybe someone should pay me to eat?

7 comments:

laurie said...

i'm with you on tofu. i have a friend who has been vegetarian for 20 years. she had me over for dinner one night. "i'll make tofu stroganoff! it tastes just ilke beef!"

i ate it.

it was foul.

then i realized that to someone who hasn't tasted beef in 20 years, it probably does remind them of meat.

but for someone who eats meat regularly? not even a little.

Princess Jewelee said...

OMG you are too funny. All signed up for next weeks fun monday. I cant wait to read it.

Kim said...

I'm laughing. Out loud. You sound EXACTLY LIKE ME.

Tofu? I don't think so. I also hate almost all fish. I'll eat tuna, canned or fresh, and mahi mahi, but that's about it. And if I am cooking something, I am going to like it. There is nothing worse than preparing something you hate, standing over it and smelling it. Ugh.

I do sacrifice every once in a while for hubby. I'll cook brussels sprouts for him, but only fresh ones. Once in a great while, I'll make fried catfish. Strangely, it doesn't bother me much to cook it, but I cannot eat it. Catfish tastes like dirt.

the rotten correspondent said...

Okay, I guess I get to take all of you on at once. May as well sit down.

Tofu doesn't taste like meat, but if you know how to cook it (ahem) it's terrific. It just depends on what you do to it. My kids think they don't eat tofu. HA! If they only knew.

Ped - I'm curious. What do you like to eat? Seriously. What would you eat in a day if you only had to eat exactly what you wanted to?

ped crossing said...

RC - If I didn't have to eat to live, I probably wouldn't eat. I get excited about very few foods. And usually only from specific places. For example, Kung Pao Chicken from PF Changs. Yum. Kung Pao Chicken from other places is okay.

And tofu is not the taste, it is the texture.

There is no perfect food day for me. Food is a nonevent. Just another thing that must be done during the day.

Susan said...

I have started having everyone put one item on the week's menu that they want just because I am burned out on thinking about dinners and cooking, too. I stick to their requests, but have gone without dinner rather than eat tacos. I have also made a few new rules such as no one can ask what is for dinner. They'll find out when it is served if they can't figure it out from the smell of it cooking. My son was picky, too, but now he is a teenager and will eat almost anything and lots of it.

the rotten correspondent said...

award at my place...