Sunday, February 3, 2008

Fun Monday - The Bucket List

Our host for Fun Monday this week is tiggerlane.

Our assignment: Have you heard of The Bucket List? Well, that's what I want from you! Make a list of things you want to do before you die. It must be at least five items - and you can make it as long as you desire. Photos are optional. And let's hear about some of the wackiest, most bizarre to-do's on your Bucket List!

Like I have time to come up with a dream list. I am still working on the need list. But here goes.

The Fun List
1. Leave the country for a while. It must be farther than 20 miles outside the country. Preferably outside the continent. A passport will be required. The visit will last at least a month so I can really get the feel for someplace else. Preferably English speaking as I am completely incapable of learning languages.

2. Build or completely remodel a house (that I am not living in). I had a grand plan before having children of getting my general contractors license and working on houses in the summer when I wasn't teaching. I planned to flip houses before I had ever heard of the term. It is kind of hard to do with little ones. But I think it would be a hoot if the boys took construction technology classes with me when they were older. I would love to pass on my handyman abilities to them.

3. At least get a timeshare or condo on the beach with an awesome ocean view. I love to just sit and watch the ocean. It calms me. And I would love to go at least once every month or two.

4. Do something big. Don't know what yet. Write a book. Hike a long trail. Climb a small mountain. Something big. I'll figure it out one of these days.

The Sanity List
1. Raise my two boys to be happy, responsible and productive members of society. With great marriages and cute grandbabies. And I hope they want to live near us.

2. Live debt free. I've got to get rid of those student loans. Preferably without dying to do it.

3. Live in a community where you don't need a car. I love the European model where everything you need is within walking distance. It just seems so much simpler. And easier. And more healthy.

Okay, so that is all that I can think of. But you should see my to do list. It can go on for days. Be sure to visit all those other Fun Mondayers and get inspired.

26 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

Hi Ped, liked your ref to 'the European Model' of living - but have to say that probably the majority of people over here outside large cities (and even within them) would have no idea what you're talking about. They are tied to their cars by umbilical cords... Hope I haven't wrecked your illusions. Must just go out now and walk to the shops. (True or False?)

Hootin Anni said...

I like you list...I like it a lot. To refurbish an old home WOULD be a lot of work...but oh so fun when it's done, huh?!!!

My Fun Monday is posted. I had a good time this week, voicing my opinions on Fun Monday.
Happy week to you.

laurie said...

wow--your list is like a combo of rotten correspondent and me.

i'm with you on the european model of living. i loved helsinki--beautiful clean vibrant downtown, apartments above, parks and open air markets, you could walk everywhere....

are you part Finnish?

-Ann said...

If you figure out how to do number 2 on your sanity list, please let me know. :)

the rotten correspondent said...

Love your list. We do have some similarities. But your mentioning wanting to do a house from the ground up really got me.I would love to do that. I just don't have a clue how. I'm even considering volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. Partly because it's a good thing to do and partly to learn some skills.

Happy Monday!

Jill said...

to me it already seems like you have it all... i'm not very handy so i couldnt flip houses,, i could trip into houses, that's about it!

Jill said...

oh and i like the tag line under your blog... we have given up making plans as everything seems to go in the opposite direction!

Robocop said...

I would LOVE to live in a place where everything is within walking distance.

Kim said...

I really enjoyed walking to everything when we were in England and France. With the Tube and the Metro, no cars were required. It's a completely different approach to every day life. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I would love to live where we could walk to everything. But treking seven miles to the school or post office just isn't practical. (maybe if I had more hours in the day...or really long legs!)

Sandy said...

I like #3 of your practical list.

Great idea. Thanks.

ellen b. said...

Great list. It really would be cool to live somewhere where you could walk or take easy public transportation everywhere.

Simply Jenn said...

Yikes, you made me think of my student loans. I've been ignoring them for awhile. Great list, but now I have to go not think of student loans again.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of places in the US/Canada where you can live and not need a car - but they all require living in a downtown of some big city. The European model is nice - but there is just too much country b/n places here to live like that.

ped crossing said...

I had an architecture professor in college that talked about that model of urban planning. He lived in Geneva for a while. I have always thought it sounded so appealing.

And yes, I would be okay living in a city to do it. But lots of our cities are not entirely conducive for walking. When we are empty nesters that is the plan. I will be researching, but that is a long way down the road.

Faye said...

Like the way you divided your list into fun and keeping sanity categories. Going through a lot of bucket lists today I'm struck by how many of us need to keep our passports current. It would be so much fun to travel abroad on vacation and be able to stay long enough to get to know people around you.

Anonymous said...

great list! Especially the sanity one!!

Alison said...

I love, love, love your sanity list!!! I completely agree with every item on it!! wonderful!!

Attie said...

I like that..."Do something Big!!"

Anonymous said...

When we were in Germany, I loved taking the trains. It was such a joy to see the school children hop the train to go home from school. What a concept!! And I could do the condo thing, too.

Tiggerlane said...

I am still wondering how to build a house and live debt-free, but it's on my list - now that the house is built! Loved your list - thanks for participating!

Michelle said...

Great lists. I hope you get to them all!!

Linda said...

What an eco-friendly list! I like it, thanks for sharing!

Joy T. said...

I can totally relate about the water, I just love sitting and watching and listening to it. I like how you split the two lists up, they're both great!

Pamela said...

the dream list is so much easier then the need list.

I agree with the remodel. Don't live in it until you are finished. I've done dishes in a bathtub. No fun.

Celeste said...

A neat list. I like the idea of living someplace where I am no dependent on a car, but I also like small town America....the compromise may be getting a Prius or something else "green" in the future. I would never want to move back to a Big City to do without a car, though.