Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween


Here are some random Halloween thoughts.

My favorite thing about Halloween is the pumpkin seeds. It is the main reason I carve pumpkins. I cooked mine up last night. Yum.

I secretly gloat that my kids costumes are better than everybody elses. Maybe because the over achiever in me has worked so hard to make them. Most years at least.



My favorite costume that I made for the boys is..... the trick or treat bag. It is a big bag with arm and leg holes. It has a big pumpkin appliqued to the front. I just held onto the handles and they had to stay with me, couldn't fall. It was great.

I don't like to dress up myself. But now I have to. My orange flight suit is in the car, ready to go. At least I will get to be comfortable. Comfort is important to me. Almost as important as being warm.

I am highly annoyed by high school kids (especially the ones with no costumes) that are still trick or treating. They usually come around after you think it is safe to turn your light back on and ring the bell and make the dog bark right after you put the kids to bed.

One of the cons I forgot to list about going back into the classroom is that I would have to deal with the parties. I crave calm and quiet and order and parties are the exact opposite. And yes, most of the time my classroom is all those things. I better get coffee today to better deal with the chaos.

Ah, well, the day will be fun. As soon as I wake up and shake off the crankies. It will be fun. It will. Really, it will. I hope.

5 comments:

laurie said...

i LOVE the treat bag! that's fabulous.

i answer the door until i don't feel like ansewring the door anymore. then i turn off the light, shut off the pumpkin (yes, i have a plastic one, she said guiltily) and don't worry about the big kids who come by late.

so far they haven't set fire to my house.

Susan said...

I am glad to know there is someone else as cranky about Halloween as I am. Laurie, I thought about getting a plastic pumpkin this year - thankfully we haven't carved an actual pumpkin here in years - but I didn't even want to put that out. The best thing about Halloween being over is now I can start to plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas, two holidays I really like!

I always thought my kids had the best costumes, as I spent weeks making them. They were great, but one of the mom's in our grade is a professional seamstress on all sorts of TV shows, and does private work for celebs for the Oscars, Grammys, etc. I have to say, those kids always had the very very best costumes.

Suzie Petunia said...

I hope your day was better than you expected! And yes, you do make fabulous costumes for your kids!

the rotten correspondent said...

Well, I guess it's Cranky Day After Halloween Day. (That sentence was brought to you by the department of redundancy department?. I'm whipped. Gave out I don't even know how many pieces of candy and trick or treated until my feet hurt.

Today they all went off to school on their little sugar highs. I always feel terrible for teachers around Halloween.

I'm glad your observation wasn't today!

laurie said...

actually, my two cents, we have THREE plastic ones. one of them used to laugh in a demonic way whenever you clapped your hands, until my husband brought it to work and annoyed the hell out of his staff.