Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Coffee Challenged



I am coffee challenged today. In an attempt to be good and have coffee at home instead of spending $3, I made coffee.

I love our coffee maker, most of the time. Today we are having a disagreement.

Coffee, take one. Put all the stuff in, put it together, put it on the stove. Rivers of coffee are flowing down the sides. I didn't get the lid on right. Dump it out and start over.

Coffee, take two. Clean the coffee maker. Put all the stuff in, put it together, put it on the stove. One little creek running down the side of the coffee maker. Not enough for a do over. The button pops and not much else happened. Usually there is the little hiss of coffee steam injecting itself into the milk, making me a yummy latte. Push the button down, pull it up, better, but still weak. I think it might be salvageable.

Find my insulated mug. Attempt to pump vanilla syrup into it. Minor syrup explosion. Wipe off cup. Try again. Four pumps of syrup, pour sad coffee into cup. Apply lid.

Decide the coffee needs to be stirred. Close lid, it is a travel mug after all and swirl coffee. There is a river of coffee running down the side of the cup.

It can only mean one of two things. One, I am not meant to have coffee today. Or, two, I an inept barista and should never attempt to work at Starbucks.

The entire time, the persona of Six from Blossom (boy am I dating myself) has been reincarnated in my sweetE. And there is a non-stop barrage of questions, comments and miscellaneous babbling coming from him. I don't think he even stopped to breath. I think my eye twitch might be back.

He is feeling better this morning, but he is staying home from preschool with Ducky anyway. I have to go change my shirt, all the rivers left coffee spots on the white shirt I was planning to wear to work today.

I better go drink that coffee. I'm going to need it.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Hi, I found your blog through Rotten Correspondent and really like it!! I don't have a blog of my own, not enough time, not enough to say, but I love reading blogs. I don't drink coffee either, but I enjoyed the story, and then read some of your older posts. I can relate to the it just isn't happening today scenario. Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Sick kids are so sad.

laurie said...

hmmm. i think i'd take $30 and buy an electric coffeemaker. spend a little, save a lot....

those stovetop ones are deep mysteries to me.

ped crossing said...

Welcome, two cents. Enjoy the crazy chronicles of my life. I don't really have time to blog either, but I realized that if I was going to remember all the funny and weird things that go on in my life, I had to write them down.

It makes a really good latte, most of the time. I think today I was just meant to buy my coffee. I burnt it too. They coffee guy thought it was pretty funny. I only drink my coffee all doctored up, so the $30 kind just don't work for me and they take up so darn much counter space.

Suzie Petunia said...

It is so much easier to just make hot chocolate. Just pretend you're a mormon, too. Less coffee hassle. :)

Suzie Petunia said...

But I have to admit I am I HUGE fan of the freshly-brewed coffee smell. And I inhale deeply in the coffee isle at the grocery store... does that make me a bad mormon?

ped crossing said...

No, it just means that you appreciate things that smell good. I appreciated the smell of tea long before I appreciated the tea itself.

the rotten correspondent said...

I'd have thrown the thing out the window the first time it acted up. It's a foolish machine that messes with me before my coffee.

I have a sick kid at home too, as of 10 am. Sucks, doesn't it?