Sunday, October 28, 2007

What a Weekend


The beautiful weather continued throughout the weekend. The list of chores did not shrink, but the memories grew. I'll take it. Here is sweetE in his dinosaur costume last night. I was going to break down and buy sweetP his costume this year. But when we went shopping, I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a cheesy costume. Fortunately, sweetE is still young enough that we can convince him to wear his brothers old costumes. And he gets to wear it three times. Yeah!

Even though I went in to work for two and a half hours today. It is against my rules, but I am being observed tomorrow and that unnerves me. On the way home, I remembered the wildlife refuge and since it was a beautiful day we decided to go.

We headed off down the trail with sweetE saying that we needed to go home to get his "noculars." And "Where are the birds?" And generally having a grand time. We stopped and looked for frogs, no luck. We continued down the trail as I kept saying that you have to be quiet if you want to see animals. We looked at a beaver dam. SweetE got a little tired and got to ride on Ducky's shoulders the entire way back.

SweetP wanted to stop and rest at every bench we came to. It was two miles there and back. But he was a trooper. His favorite part was when we rescued a fuzzy caterpillar. It was in the path and he scooped it up with a twig, showed it to sweetE and then put the twig and caterpillar back in the grass. We arrived back at the car as the sun was getting low in the sky and the chill was returning to the air. I can't believe it took us two years to visit when it is 5 minutes from our house.

2 comments:

laurie said...

what a lovely afternoon you had! (yes, despite working.)

and that costume is amazing. why buy when you are so clearly more creative than the manufacturers?

my favorite costume that has appeared at my front door on a recent halloween was a small boy dressed up liek a computer. or possibly a robot.

he wore a cardboard box that had been spray-painted silver, and someone had fitted it out with blinking red LEDs. it was so cute.

his hands were inside the box, and there was a neat slot for me to drop the candy into. i loved i.t

the rotten correspondent said...

Kids costumes are ridiculously expensive and only get worn once. I love the home done ones. My favorite ever was when my mom made my oldest a black widow spider costume out of an old sofa pillow.

It was way cool.