Saturday, October 6, 2007

Food Funk


I have this philosophy that people are either foodies or sleepies. Very few people are both. I am a sleepy. I can go without food and be fine (mostly). Ducky can go without sleep and be fine (mostly). The boys are both sleepies too. In other words, if we are tired, look out. We get overtaken by the crankies and then no one wants to be around us. I love my sleep.

The problem with being a sleepy, when you go into a food funk where nothing sounds good, you don't care if you eat at all. I am in a food funk and have been for about a week. Nothing sounds good, I can take it or leave it for most kinds of food. Chocolate is exempt, I'll always take chocolate.

As the head chef in the house, it means that I don't think about meals until the last minute. So we have eaten out a lot this week. Thursday night I did go and make 11 meals to stick in the freezer. My saving grace for the next few weeks. Ask me what we are having for dinner tonight and I really don't care. I know I need to eat and feed the rest of the family, but I am too tired and uninspired to even want to think about dinner.

I also make really bad choices. Since Ducky took the boys to run errands, I just finished off six Milano cookies and a can of rootbeer. I spilled a quarter of the rootbeer (yes I am aware of my drinking problem). I had a fruit leather and a pudding for lunch. I have got to get out of this food funk. Send me yummy food ideas for picky eaters (myself included).

Good news, my coffee maker and I are friends again.

8 comments:

laurie said...

you made 11 meals on thursday night? after a long day at work? wowser.

our saving grace is the slow cooker. i make two or three slow-cooker meals a week, from now until about april. (then doug takes over the cooking, and grills everything in the back yard.)

irish stew, spiced with cloves and worcestershire sauce and simmered all day in a bottle of Guinness.

brunswick stew, with chicken and yukon gold potatoes.

turkey chili.

i have a soup recipe that involves chicken and red wine that is so good i could eat it every day.

i'm happy to send any recipes you want.

i usually put them together the night before, stick the crock pot in the fridge, and then plug it in in the morning on my way out the door.

dinner's ready when you get home.

ped crossing said...

It only took me an hour and a half. They have done all the prep for you. I just measure out the ingredients into freezer bags and then zip them up. It is a wonderful system and has done wonders for the quality of our eating. Plus, Thursday was one of my half days. If I worked full time, someone would have to scrape me off the floor daily.

I'll have to reinvestigate my crock pot cookbook. If I can't find any good recipes, I'll take you up on the recipe offer. :)

Susan said...

I recently came out of a cooking funk. The weather cooled down, which helped, and then I went through all of my cookbooks and recipes and re-discovered old favorites I had forgotten about. It also helps that I have teenagers who throw out ideas about what they want during the week. I have a friend who has put all of her recipes on index cards, along with the ingredient list, and has each kid (she had four) pick one over the weekend before she goes shopping, and she and her husband each pick one, and that is how she plans the meals each week. I'm always saying I want to get organized like that, too.

the rotten correspondent said...

I'm big on the crockpot too.

You can also get a lot of crockpot recipes on Allrecipes.com

We've just gotten one of those meal prep places here and it's super popular. Is this the first time you've gone or do you go a lot?

Swearing Mother said...

Hi ped crossing: I've just come over from Laurie's blog: Totally agree with the slow cooker.

At the moment I could eat anything that's not nailed down, but can't sleep at all. What can you do?

bon apetit!

ped crossing said...

I have been doing the meal prep thing for about a year and a half. I love it! My favorite place changed owners and I don't like the menus from the new place, so I am trying out other ones. We have about 8 different places in our area. This time I used Dream Dinners which is a national chain and they are pretty good. I'll keep you posted as we actually eat some of the dinners I just made.

ped crossing said...

Welcome swearing mother! Enjoy reading about my chaos.

Teresa said...

You must've made those dinners at a Dream Dinners kitchen. Certainly you didn't just open a cookbook and whip 'em out in your own kitchen!