Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Wedding - The Days Prior to Leaving

So sorry to have kept you hanging. Darn conferences, chewed my up, spit me out and stomped on me for good measure. But I am better now.

So dad comes a few days early so he can spend time with the kiddos. Since he is the only grandpa they have got, it is good. Except that means I will be over my allotted tolerance time before we even leave. Yikes! My family and I have very, very little in common. I think I was ready to escape to a different life from birth on. We grew up on a hobby farm and I only dreamed of the burbs. I'm livin' the dream now!

Dad and I usually run out of things to catch up on after an hour. Then the record starts skipping and dad starts repeating and I begin biting my tongue. Sometimes, a new story escapes. And that can be interesting.

We take advantage of the fact that dad is here, and we leave sweetE in his care while we go to sweetP's conference. SweetP is doing fabulously and we couldn't be happier. The next day, both boys don't have school, so again dad gets to spend quality time with them while we go about our usual schedule. So far so good.

Dad has reached that age when you don't realize that you are not bathing or showering enough. I plan to make it a point to have my children tell me if I need to bathe. Since dad takes a shower the night before we leave I, incorrectly, assume all will be well.

2 comments:

laurie said...

ah, i was hoping you'd get back to this. love the serial narrative approach.

sounds difficult with your dad. even though he means well, i can see where small doses would be easier to take. that's pretty much the case with my family, too, especially my mom. fortunately, she lives 10 minutes away, so i can just drop by for a half-hour and be done with it....

keep going!

the rotten correspondent said...

My dad and I were like that too. Very frustrating all around.