Saturday, September 15, 2007

My New Favorite Thing



Many weeks ago, sweetP and Ducky went to camp out at the zoo and sweetE and I stayed home. So of course my little sweetE didn't care much for the fact that he was left out yet again. It is hard to be the little brother. So I devised a project to help him feel better. We were in the midst of the remodel and both boys were begging me to let them paint. But I knew that would translate into more work for me. So, selfishly, I said no.

The floors had not gone in yet. We went to the craft store and picked up cheap canvases and about twelve colors of acrylic paint. We were going to make art. The best part, we could paint in the dining room and didn't need to worry about spilling on the floor.

So my little sweetE and I painted the evening away. Our creations were set aside to dry and await framing. When sweetP returned he immediately wanted to paint one too, but he had to wait a few weeks. So one day sweetE and I had a dateand he and Ducky finally got to paint their pictures.

They are now framed and proudly displayed in the living room. I think they are fabulous and everyone who has come in has commented on what fun they. We plan to periodically paint new ones. That only leaves the dilemma of what to do with the old ones. I can't throw them out, but where can I put them? I guess I solve that problem when it becomes one.

6 comments:

laurie said...

those are beautiful.

one of my most prized possessions is a crayon drawing that my niece Liz made for me when she was 3. (she is now 10.) my brother put it in a wooden target frame, and they gave it to me for christmas.

it's been on the wall in our front hallway ever since.

the rotten correspondent said...

I think they're terrific. And I'm sure your kids are so proud of themselves.

I used to do a rotating collection of my boy's art in my living room. I got a bunch of mismatched yard sale frames and painted them all the same color, then I put kid's art in them.

I got more comments on those than I did my "real" art.

Suzie Petunia said...

I LOVE this idea! They are beautiful.

ped crossing said...

I love that children are not obsessed with how art should be. They just do art and it comes out beautifully.

I wish kids had more time to be kids.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I LOVE this!! I was hoping to see this in person at book club last night, but it is not a good week for me. It sounds like it was a lot of fun and I am sorry I missed out.

ped crossing said...

I hope I am starting a trend. It is such a fun and easy and inexpensive thing to do. And soooo special.