Friday, September 14, 2007

My Long Week: Part 1

Going back to work is really cutting into my ability to blog. Or to think clearly after 6pm.

Monday: My first official full day of work. My only full day of the week. Migraine. Arghh. I survive the work day, rush home. Catch up with our nanny, it is her first day back too. Love her! Then the really crazy part begins. We have soccer practice in a half hour. The frozen pizza takes 25 minutes to cook. Uh-oh. Note to self, frozen pizzas take longer to cook than their thawed counterparts. Department of Duh moment.

In full multi-tasking mode, open sweetP's backpack to the pungent aroma of urine. Um, sweetP, is there something you need to tell mommy? There neatly packed in his backpack is a plastic bag of wet clothes. So the story goes like this. "I was having so much fun that I didn't want to stop." What pray tell, could be that fun? "We were doing math, and counting bugs." Be still my beating heart. He loves math. How could I be mad at him for loving my favorite subject. But still, we needed to chat about listening to his body and no matter how much fun you are having, go to the bathroom if you need to! He doesn't realize that he doesn't want to be labeled the kid that pees his pants.

So I ship him off to soccer with Ducky. I have to get sweetE ready for swim and have sweetP's stuff ready to go. When I scheduled for Monday night swim lessons months ago, we did not have soccer practice schedule. I assumed (incorrectly) that they wouldn't schedule soccer for Monday nights. Now I can only hope that we go down to one practice a week and please let it be on Wednesday.

We hop in the van (I am hoping Ducky will drive) and head for the soccer field. Off to swim we go. Ducky driving, me holding my head as the migraine intensifies. This is sweetE's first swim lesson and he is so excited that he is prancing. I couldn't miss this moment. I have been hearing about it all summer during sweetP's lessons.

We watch as sweetE has a smile that covers his entire face. It is pure joy, the kind that is only found in childhood when you have no worries and can live so completely in the moment that it envelops you and radiates out from you in all directions. It is why we have children, so we can remember how magical the little things can be.

Meanwhile, I do remember to watch my sweetP as well. He swims across the pool for the first time ever! This is the child that would dissolve into tears if he got water in his face at the beginning of summer. He now jumps right in. These instructors are miracle workers.

At 7:45pm, we all pile back into the van to head home. I have been going since 5:45am, with a headache and I am done. I am not a morning person. So being up before six is a big deal. I hold my head the entire way home, crawl out of the van and go straight to bed. I am in bed before the boys, they tuck me in and quietly cuddle in next to me for a few minutes. Even suffering as I was, I loved having them there snuggled up, just being together.

1 comment:

laurie said...

oh, man, migraines. i used to get those too. i'm so sorry. as i get older, i can knock them out easier than i used to--it takes 2 excedrins and 2 tylenol. together. eat something, or you'll feel queasy.

and the peeing incident? i was with my niece a few years ago when she pooped in a swimming pool for the same reason--she was having too much fun to get out.

the next day? she did it again. no kidding.