Friday, September 7, 2007

Lunch Tales from First Grade

So my dear sweetP has started first grade. He a rather reserved little guy. The first day of school came and went this week. He took his lunch to school and because I forgot to deposit money into his lunch account I sent him with a juice box. No problem. He had a great first day.

Day two. I packed him a lunch and wrote a check for milk money. I deposited the money into his account after dropping him off in his room. No problem. We are getting this first grade thing down. He comes home having only eaten his cheese and half his crackers.
Me: "Did you drink your milk?"
SweetP: "No"
Me: "Why not?"
SweetP: "I didn't get any."
Me: "How come?"
SweetP: "I didn't know how to get it."
Me: "Ahh."

Day three. I packed his lunch (using most of the stuff that was left over from the day before). We went to his classroom. As he emptied his backpack, I asked his teacher to please buddy him up at lunch with someone who knows how to get milk. Problem solved. Wrong. He comes home and only ate his fruit snacks, crackers and half a bagel.
Me: "Did you get your milk?"
SweetP: "Yes."
Me: "Good, did you drink it?"
SweetP: "No."
Me: "Why not?"
SweetP: "I didn't know how to open it."
Me: "Ahh."

Last night. We practice opening an old orange juice container. Then I tell him to ask his friends for help if he can't do it. Then I find out he asked his teacher to open his fruit snacks for him. So it is all about priorities, fruit snacks are much more important than milk when you are six.

2 comments:

laurie said...

oh my gosh. what a sweet story. and these memories of kindergarten came roaring back. i too did not know how to open those little red cartons--they were tightly glued on one side, and meant to be opened on the other, but i had no clue.

lucky sweetp, that you asked.

my mom had 10 of us, and she didn't have much time for questions.

ped crossing said...

These stories are the reason I started to blog. I was forgetting way too many of the cute and funny things that happen in daily life.

If I didn't ask, he would starve. He is not what I would call a foodie. He only gets excited about pizza and pancakes/waffles. Today at lunch he ate half a bag of cheetos and half his milk. He forgot about his sandwich. He ate that after school.

I am always amazed at people with more than two children. Two keep me busy and entertained.