Thursday, May 1, 2008

The First Thankful Thursday



Yesterday I was reading the No Impact Man blog and I realized that I sometimes forget to be thankful for the fabulous life that I have.

Way back when my 10 year high school reunion came around I pondered what my greatest achievement was in that ten years. I realized that I had learned how to be happy. Light-bulb moment. And frequently I lose sight of that as I get swept up in the daily grind of life. My life.

The first item on the article that he had posted had you counting your blessings. Read his post, it is really interesting. What better place to start than on my blog. So my Thursdays (it's an alliteration thing, you can take the girl out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the girl) shall be devoted to thinking about what I am thankful for. One or two or three, whatever strikes me.

I am thankful for those moments when I am flooded with pure love and adoration of my boys. It happens nightly when I kiss them before I go to bed. They are peaceful and relaxed. Any unpleasant bits from the day wash away. And I can't imagine loving them more. But I know that I will. A mommy's love grows over night.

I have these moments during the day too. When they are kind to each other. When I hear, "Mommy, I just love you," or "I'm gonna break you in half." The second is what we say in the middle of a great big hug. When they are caught up in being the person that they are. They are forming before my eyes and it is fascinating to watch. They are not perfect children (is there such a thing?), but they are mine. I love who they are turning out to be. I love watching their personalities take shape. I love the way they can make me feel.

3 comments:

Kim said...

That's just lovely, Ped. From one mama to another, I know just what you're talking about.

Carolyn said...

I'm Thankful for your Thankful Thursday. I may have to join in next week. I feel the same as you. I am very thankful for my life, but (unlike you) I often wallow in my frustrations instead of celebrating my triumphs. Recognition of gratitude becomes more important the more troubled our lives become. Thanks for the reminder!

Susan said...

I love your post!