Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Junior Procrastinator


SweetP was in no mood to go to bed tonight. Ducky made the mistake of letting him get a Coke Icee with his dinner tonight. I was off getting a massage. Lucky me!

We did oodles of homework tonight so we won't have much tomorrow night. We finished his homework packet a day early (it came home a day late too). We subtracted and got distracted by a bird. That happens when the evening is so pleasant that you simply must do your homework out on the deck. He came up with 10 words that end in -ain. And three that end in -ane. We read his reading homework three times. Just when I thought we were close to being done, the birthday bag had stuff to do. I didn't know the birthday bag existed until tonight. It has a journal and three books about birthdays. The child is supposed to write a journal entry about their birthday.

It was just a few short months ago that his teacher was concerned about his writing. Tonight he filled four pages with facts about his birthday. With illustrations. I just had to squeeze him and kiss him I am so proud of him.

So we are off to bed late. The boys are tucked in for the night and I am off to Target. SweetE has snacks at preschool tomorrow. While I am gone, sweetP come down twice. Once to tell Ducky that Max (his new webkinz) can't sleep when he hears the sound of the wii. And once just to see what he is missing.

After I get home, he comes down because he has something on his mind.

"Mommy, one day after school can we go to the middle school?"

"Why, sweetP?"

"I want to clean the penis off the wall."

"The what?" My ears must be deceiving me.

"The penis on the wall."

"Where did you see that, is it by the drinking fountain?"

"No, on the long wall. The one with the penguins. That way Kicker can't see it."

"So you want to go early to clean it off?"

"Yes, people shouldn't draw on the wall. It is right here (pointing to groin) on the penguin. They drew it in pen because they don't think that you can get that off. But they don't know that a sponge will clean it." I use the magic eraser to clean up all kinds of sins so now he thinks that it will clean anything.

I just had to squeeze him all over again. He wants to clean up someone else's graffiti. Who wouldn't love a boy that wants to make the world a better, cleaner place.

He managed to come downstairs two more times before he finally went to sleep. But I was just so proud of him for wanting to do the right thing that he just got sent back to bed with a hug and a kiss.

2 comments:

laurie said...

aw. he deserved that coke icee!

though clearly he is sweet enough without it.

Carolyn said...

Awesome. You're raising some good little kids there. Isn't it so hard to be strict about bedtime when they're being so darn cute and wonderful??