Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Big Words


I was standing in line at the grocery store yesterday. The courtesy clerk was talking about how people should use little words when talking to her. That her teachers use these big words and she just doesn't get it. The checker and I were just kind of snickering as she continued her declaration about how she just didn't know what they meant and when she tried to use them she got the context wrong.

At this point, I quietly told the checker that I was one of those horrible teachers. And that we are just doing our job. She laughed and the very nice courtesy clerk said "I heard that." She has convinced herself that she doesn't understand big words.

As I was putting my groceries in the trunk of my car, I realized that I should have told her to read all different kinds of books and her vocabulary would grow on its own. The words would be in context and would start making sense. I wished that I had thought of some way to encourage her. But at that moment I was in a rush to get home, make dinner and spend time with my boys.

As a kid, I devoured books. I think I read every book in the children's and young adult section of our library. I would check out the maximum every time and be ready for more before my mom was ready to go back. I acquired a great vocabulary. No SAT prep class needed.

I miss having the time to read books the way I did as a kid. I hope that my boys love reading the way that I did. It opens up worlds and doors. I hope that part of the time they are content to curl up with a book and immerse themselves in another place or time.

2 comments:

LCM said...

I am a total nerd, in fact I just signed up to volunteer at our public library. My girls have gotten into the swing of things. I periodically get Barnes and Noble gift cards and we will take a little trip down there, very exciting and the girls get to stroll around looking for books. It's so much fun, now that Fiona won't pull the books off the shelves.

Carolyn said...

I just loved to read as a kid and still do. I completely agree that it's a wonderful way to build vocabulary and comprehension. Not to mention the adventures you get to take with your imagiation. Books are marvelous. Like you, I hope Csilla enjoys reading as much as I do. Start 'em young is the trick I guess.