Friday, January 18, 2008

The Water Battle


Ever since I first got pregnant with sweetP, I have vowed to drink more water. And then I had my first stone during my first trimester of that pregnancy. And I vowed to drink more water. And did I? No.

It was even harder in those days. I was working at a high school with a block schedule, 90 minutes with students. Then five minutes before the next block started. I was geographically as far from a bathroom as you could get. With the increase in bathroom visits that naturally come with pregnancy, the last thing I wanted to do was try to fit in more trips. The teacher next door agreed to watch my students if I really needed to go, but I didn't want to be asking all the time. I was a new teacher and the principal already didn't like me. The last thing I wanted was to get caught in the halls during class.

So I assumed that when I had sweetP, the danger was over. It was a one time thing. But, everyone knows that nursing moms need to drink plenty of water. Did I? I tried, but fell back into old habits. And when sweetP was 7 months old, I had another stone. It was big, it was highly unpleasant. It took 15 days to pass. I spent sweetP's first Christmas in the ER. There is video of me in the morning, already in pain, opening gifts. I held out as long as I could before going to the ER. At least he was little and doesn't remember.

Did I learn to drink more water? Nope. I tried again. Then when I got pregnant with sweetE, I assumed that I would get a stone. No stone! When I was nursing sweetE, I assumed I would get a stone. No stone! I spent almost two years expecting it. And it didn't happen. So I assumed that I wouldn't get one again. Every now and then I would get a twinge in my back and think, oh no. But it didn't happen. Until last weekend.

So for seven years, I have had every intention of drinking more water. It made my new years resolution list most of those years. But I don't.

And here is what I have figured out. I have documented that I am not that interested in eating here. The same seems to be true for drinking. It is just not something I think about. It will be eleven in the morning and I will suddenly realize that I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet. I rarely feel hungry or thirsty. I just don't think about it.

What I do drink, I sip. I am a slow eater and a slow drinker. Also known as a cheap date. When you eat and drink slowly you consume less. Restaurants make a killing on me because I rarely get refills on bottomless drinks. I often pick up my usual (16 oz., single, nonfat, decaf, vanilla latte) on my way in to work at about 11:45. I am usually still working on it when I leave at about 4:30. Thank goodness for travel mugs. Drinking too fast makes me feel ill.

Then there is the whole intimidation factor. That big, old bottle of water is a lot to look at. It seems like I never make any progress and then I get discouraged. I don't enjoy water in the first place and then to see how much I should be drinking. Ugh.

I have packets of Crystal Light and sugarfree Koolaid. But do they have to add dye? My favorite is tropical punch. Do I want a Koolaid mustache like I am still five years old. Straws are not long enough to reach the bottom and still come out the top.

So here is my new plan. I tried it today with some success. I have a cute little mug that holds six ounces. A doable quantity to drink in one sitting for someone like me. So whenever I thought about it today, I went down, filled it up and drank it on the spot. Instant gratification. Today, I think I have drunk five of them. 30 ounces. More water than I usually manage in a week.

So we'll see what happens. Can I stick with it? Even some of the time? Time will tell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, it sounds like you have a plan. I just contantly carry a bottle of water around with me and don't let myself drink anything else till i drink at least 2lts a day

laurie said...

your eating and drinking sounds so different from mine that i doubt my suggestions will help you. sounds like you have a plan and i hope it works.

i don't much like plain water, so i buy lemon-lime flavored flizzy water (h2OH brand). it's got flavor and fizz, like pop, but it's not sweet and it's got no calories

i drink two of those in the afternoon at work.

good luck. peeing frequently is a small price to pay for No MORE STONES.

Kim said...

What you're doing sounds like a good plan to me. It's doable for you, and it sounds like you're even feeling a bit of accomplishment.

My husband dislikes drinking was so I buy him Propel. You can buy it in bottles in different flavors, and you can also buy the little packets to put in bottles, just like Crystal Light. There are no calories, and it really works for him.

the rotten correspondent said...

Like laurie, I don't think I'm going to be able to give you any helpful advice. I'm glad you have something that's working for you, though.

I actually drink a lot more than I eat. (Wow. How bad does that sound??) I have a 32 oz. work cup and I probably drink at least 10 of those a day. I'm not kidding. I've always been like that.

I like plain water, but I also really like Crystal Light lemonade. I go through an awful lot of it.