Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Battle has Begun


Since September Ducky has had a cough. A shake the house, wake the neighbors kind of cough. And he can do it in his sleep without waking up. I wake up. And then can't go to sleep again.

So just before Christmas, he went to the allergist. And found out that he has a rather severe allergy to dust mites. Ewww. Not something I care to think about. And while I don't claim to have the cleanest house, it is not bad either. So we have started a war against the dust mite. There are no plans for eradication, annihilation or elimination. We know that that would be hopeless. Instead we are opting for a noticeable reduction in their numbers. We have washed bedding and curtains, wiped down blinds and chairs, dusted moldings and furniture.


But the thing that is going to win the war? Alice, the Roomba vacuum. She is fabulous. She goes under the bed and the dresser. She gets in the nooks and crannies. She covers the whole floor about seven times. And I am always amazed at what she picks up. We are running her daily in our bedroom. And it is working.

We are attacking other parts of the house too. I have also vacuumed the chairs and couches downstairs. But you spend so much time in bed, that the bedroom is the front line in the war. And Alice is the general.

4 comments:

LCM said...

You know, when I am allergic to something I sneeze...as I thought most people did. My husband coughs, at a tone that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. He has indoor allergies as well, but his are mold. How cool that you guys have a roomba. I hope the doc has given you a bunch of allergy medicines to try. We managed to find two to help. Now Fiona has started the coughing allergies, which is much worse for all of us.

laurie said...

wow! i have seen those on TV and wondered if they were ay good.

i have a feeling that Alice could double as a great dog toy....

the rotten correspondent said...

Those little vacuums are way cool. Everyone I've ever known who has had one has loved it.

Some friends of ours had a kid with dust mite allergies that actually caused asthma attacks in him. The mom swore by putting plastic covers on the bed pillows underneath the pillow case. I guess they like pillow cases. Kind of gross to think about, isn't it?

Susan said...

My roomba is named Robbie. When I want to bug my kids I say he is my favorite member of the family because he does what ever I ask without complaining. Go Alice! Win the dust mite war!