Sunday, January 6, 2008

Fun Monday!

Today's Fun Monday is hosted by Lisa's Chaos. And our assignment is...Let’s meet your pets. I think most of us have at least one pet and I would like to see your fluffy or scaly pal. If you don’t have a camera you can tell us about him/her/them. If you don’t have a pet tell us about a pet you had or a pet you want. If for some weird reason you hate all animals we want to know why gosh-dang-it.

I have had pets as long as I can remember.


My first real pet was Woofie aka Captain. But I called him Woofie. He was a Shetland Sheep Dog. I got him in second grade. My parents were getting a divorce. My mom thought I could use a dog (rather than a dad apparently). In the end the divorce didn't go through, but I still got to keep the dog. He slept with me. He would play fetch for hours, with a tennis ball, a pine cone or a stick, it didn't matter. We lived on a farm and he would get burrs and all other kinds of stuff stuck in his fur. He had to be brushed a lot. He was much friendlier than most shelties and much smaller. I loved him. He got killed by a Great Dane when he was ten. He was wooing his girlfriend next door. The Great Dane had the same idea. And Woofie had small dog syndrome. He was the best dog a girl could have had.


Then I went to college and had to wait years before I could have another pet. We got Velcro when he was 7 months old. He is a Welsh Pembroke Corgi. He is very hairy (he fills multiple trash cans at the groomer) and big for his breed. He is the family dog, but really he is mine. He just turned eleven. I gave his whole story on his birthday. He is spoiled rotten. He even has his own stocking. We promised him that he would be the only furry animal we would get. After being demoted twice by children, it is the least we can do.

Eventually, I would like to get a Welsh Terrier. But I hope that is many years in the future. We would like to keep Velcro around for while longer.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

My step-daughter has a Corgi, he looks a lot like yours. Great memories and great post. :) Thanx for playing, happy FM!

Gattina said...

Very nice post ! Today it's really fun for me to read all the posts of Fun Monday, lol !

Anonymous said...

Written from the heart! Bless you!

Hootin Anni said...

I am so enjoying this week, meeting our pets and all. What a wonderful story. You did good.

Have a great Fun Monday!

laurie said...

i love love LOVE corgis.

those ears!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really curious as to why you call him Velcro!

Sandy said...

I love Corgis. My girlfriend has one and you are right abou the hair! My gosh, they shed.

Beautiful pics.

ChrisB said...

You are in good company with Corgis. They are Royal dogs over here in the UK our Queen has several!

the rotten correspondent said...

I think Velcro is a cutie pie. And Woofie sounds like a wonderful guy.

Tiggerlane said...

Those are some beautiful animals - I am truly a dog person, and always will be. I'll never forget my first dog - it nearly broke my heart when she died of Parvo.

Kim said...

Your dogs are gorgeous.

Joy T. said...

Ok my heart just melted over those Corgi ears LOL What a great post!

Pamela said...

both of them are appealing.
love the smiles.
I know dogs smile. Can't tell me different.

Unknown said...

You always remember THE ONE, I think. And, you are right. Your Corgi is big. I understand the displacement thing. My fur child is still sulking hers.

Anonymous said...

Wolfie sounded like a wonderful pet. Too bad he lost the battle for the girl.

Hope you have many good years with Velcro.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Velcro and Woofie look so cute. Poor Woofie. What a way to go. You must have been devestated. It sounds like he had a lovely life with you though.