Thursday, January 24, 2008

It Poured!


When I wrote that I missed the rain, I should have been more specific. Because today it poured. Problems. Today my life lived up to my blog title.

I started by waking up at 4:30 and not being able to go back to sleep. Silver lining, at 6:20, sweetP wakes up and we create static electricity in bed together. For about twenty minutes he rubbed the flannel sheets and the blanket together and watched the "quiet fireworks."

At 9:30, Ducky calls with a banking problem. So I try to fix it, but I don't have access or authorization. It is a joint account. I'm supposed to have access. Ducky gets to finish fixing it tomorrow. I try to log into online banking at another bank and manage to lock myself out. I can't remember the answer to one of the 80 security questions that I have answered. They politely, hook me back up.

My students cannot stop talking. Nothing seems to work. Rewards, punishments, humor, encouragement, crankiness. Nothing.

My projector died last week. And the replacement came in today. So I spent all of my afterschool time getting it hooked up and getting the broken one boxed up.

5 pm was the highlight of my day. A massage. But I was so tense that we couldn't get to many of my 2000 parts. She focused on my migraine points. Which is great, but I am not totally relaxed like I usually am.

I ordered one of my favorite meals to be picked up on the way home. It is from a restaurant in our old neighborhood and I don't get it very often. So I picked it up and it smelled great all the way home. And then I started to eat it. Someone clearly wasn't paying attention when they added the garlic. It was almost to the point where I couldn't eat it. I like a light garlic flavor. Not bruiser garlic flavor. So I am no longer craving my chicken & broccoli calzone with no onions.

SweetE has been complaining all day, off and on, that he doesn't feel good. So I put him to bed and hoped for a miraculous recovery. Tomorrow is a busy day. He is supposed to go next door to play while I go volunteer at sweetP's school. Then I have a conference with sweetP's teachers. SweetP's best friend is supposed to come over for a play date.

And at 9:30 pm, sweetE starts crying. His crying during the night only means one thing. Vomit. And he had, all over himself. So now he is upset and he has to take a quick shower. His sheets, blankets and pillow all need to be washed. All of his stuffed friends survived unscathed.

I get his bed made and him tucked back in. And head off to wash the sheets. Why is there water on the floor under the washer? Why, tonight of all nights. When I have vomity sheets and a soaked pillow. Why, why, why? 10 pm we are investigating the washer. The leak is coming from the hose in the back. I bought the really good hoses that are guaranteed not to split. So it is the connection. Home Depot is closed. If we need a new washer, we are not getting it tonight. The hose comes off and it is leaking because the screen is filled with bits of our disintegrating hot water heater.

Yippee, we can still wash the sheets tonight. Boo, the hot water moved up the list of things that must get done. I was hoping it wouldn't go kablooey until we could afford a tankless, instant hot water heater.

Putting the doors back on the laundry closet is a challenge. And they don't close right, but it is late and we no longer care. The doors for the laundry closet move higher up the list too.

So I am off to check off assignments. So we can let parents know if their little angel is staying on top of things or should spend the weekend doing homework.

The misadventures of adulthood. In living color.

*Update*
SweetE woke up and seems to have made a full recovery. Oh, happy day!

7 comments:

RachelC said...

Wow! Rough day. Hope that Friday proves to be a bit better and that you can have a relaxing weekend.

Kim said...

I hate it when a dozen little inconveniences and disappointments turn your day into a big pain in the neck.

I hope your little guy is feeling better and that today is a good day.

laurie said...

wowser, ped. that is a truly awful no good lousy hell of a day.

today's got to be better. you already experienced 99 percent of the things that can go wrong in daily life. they can't all go wrong again.

Potty Mummy said...

God, I hate to-do lists. Mine never seems to get any shorter. That, of course, is because I so rarely do anything about it...

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Amy,

I am crying with you. I am so sorry for your rough day. I am happy to see your SweetE is feeling better. (Someday I want to meet these cute kids I am hearing about!) I hope things are going better.

the rotten correspondent said...

Aren't you glad that one is done? What a sucky day all around.

We're back in that parallel universe thing with your washer. Mine did the exact same thing today.

Glad your punkin' is feeling better.

Susan said...

They way I see it, you can now add a lot of things to your finished list! Finished washing unexpected load of laundry, finished putting closet doors back on, etc. Sorry about your day. Sometimes it isn't the crises that undo us, it is the accumulation of all the 'little' things that does it. Hope you are having a good weekend.