Friday, April 18, 2008

Roller Coaster


Today has been up and today has been down. The boys have been happy. The boys have been unhappy, in all of its various forms. The world has ended, and the whoops of joy filled the house. The only constant, I have been so tired. I stayed up too late, didn't sleep well and wouldn't you know that they got up early again. All of this adds up to a headache and a tired and grouchy mommy.

But I did manage to pull off one of the famous treasure hunts. We bought a small Star Wars Lego kit awhile back because it had lots of guys in it. And every now and then sweetP would spot it in the garage and I would just remind to forget he ever saw it. Or I might take it back. So I decided that today was the day. I had both boys home all day and my grand plans of going and doing something flew right out the window.

I banished the boys to the living room and upstairs while I worked to create a treasure hunt for the reader and non-reader alike. I wrote out partial sentences, I found clip art to fill in the blanks. I printed, cut and folded the clues. I banished the boys to my bedroom so I could use the rest of the house.

Then I told them it was ready. And the bouncing started. I explained the rules. SweetE could not open the picture until sweetP had read the sentence. And then off they went with me trailing along behind. They bounced, they ran, they squealed with delight. They searched, they found, they lost half a clue in the piano (I rescued it later). They ran up the stairs, and down, and up again. All over the house. Twelve clues later, they found the golden box.

Finally we sat on the floor and put it together. That is about all I accomplished all day. Well, and two loads of laundry. And I am okay with that. Today we made happy memories.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Those are the best days.

the rotten correspondent said...

I want a mom like you. That sounds like so much fun.

Susan said...

Those are the days I miss, just being home having fun with young kids. Glad you enjoyed it.

-Ann said...

That sounds like so much fun. Peter gave me a birthday present in a treasure hunt once.

Carolyn said...

I love this. You're AWESOME!! I really need to get myself together and do this. Csilla would absolutely love it.

Way to go. Oh, and sorry about the tired and grouchy mommy with the headache. Story of my life...