Monday, April 7, 2008

Possessed Toys


I am a big fan of quiet toys. Preferably ones that don't require batteries. However, we are not the only ones who buy our children toys.

One of sweetE's favorites of the moment is a Spiderman web slinger thing. It has sound effects. He can't find most of the disks it flings, but he doesn't care. He runs around making Spiderman sounds. And then as I am quietly reading blogs and enjoying my quiet time after everyone else has gone to sleep, I hear it.

It is laying on the floor behind me. No one has touched it for hours. And suddenly, Spiderman is slinging a web, loudly from over my left shoulder. It's enough to scare several years off my life.

We have other toys that randomly go off too. But usually it is because they are in the toy basket and something is sitting on them just hard enough to occasionally press the button.

4 comments:

-Ann said...

I always threaten my brother that I'm going to buy his son a drum kit. I did feel a bit of guilt recently when I sent The Kid a large amount of Easter chocolate.

LCM said...

We have this bookset we bought from Barnes and Noble. It's a box full of little books and every time you open it up, it gives this wicked little laugh. Sometimes it's open and randomly cackles anyway. We had to put it away for a while because it was scaring Fiona.

Kim said...

The worst is when they leave one of those noisy toys underneath something . . . and you can't find it. I swear, it drives me to total distraction.

Carolyn said...

This post made me laugh out loud. We have a few toys that Csilla doesn't even know make sounds. We've never put the batteries in because I wasn't willing to have the noise of it running around in my brain long after the thing had been shut off (the toy, not my brain).

How selfish am I? Poor kid with a car horn that doesn't honk...