Friday, April 25, 2008

Reboot


I have reached the point where if I was a computer, I would need to be rebooted. I am overwhelmed to the point of shutting down.

My favorite questions is "Is it June yet?" Not because I don't like my students or my colleagues, but I am hanging on by a thread and I fear it might break.

Reasons why I am overwhelmed.
1. 12 sets of papers to grade that have subjective answers. Translates to "I can't pass these off to helpful people to get myself caught up."

2. Got my head bitten off by my boss on Tuesday for attempting to be helpful. I still have not had my final evaluation for the year and so am totally stressed out by every interaction with her.

3. I have a long list of errands that need to be accomplished and no time or energy in which to get them done. I did a bunch on Wednesday, but with boys along everything takes longer. Even if sweetP was very helpful and sweet. I have been meaning to grocery shop all week.

4. Field trip recovery. I had an all day field trip yesterday. My first on my own and first in ten years. So I was in a panic leading up to yesterday and totally wiped out last night and today. That and instead of being able to get stuff done after school yesterday, I got to sit in on a hour and a half meeting instead. The resulting migraine did not surprise and me and had I gotten a good nights sleep I might be okay today.

5. Can't get a good nights sleep even when I get to bed at a reasonable hour. Kids waking up, stress dreams, brain overload.

6. SweetE woke up with a 102 degree fever this morning.

7. Ducky in a panic daily because he is overwhelmed.

8. Tired of having to go in to work on Sundays for a few hours to attempt to survive the following week.

9. Cook, clean, live, entertain, homework helper and all those other parts of wife, mom, teacher, human.

I'm sure there are more, but I think that gives you an idea. All I can say is thank goodness I don't work full time. I would need a long visit to a padded room.

4 comments:

LCM said...

You poor thing. Do teachers get teacheritis? Sort of like senioritis where you lose all interest in being at school? Just keep muttering, this too shall pass...and I sincerely hope it does, soon!

Susan said...

Would you try a tylenol pm? I find they really help me sleep when I'm having trouble. Just take one about half an hour before you want to fall asleep. A well-rested mother, wife, teacher is a good thing. Good luck!

ped crossing said...

I sleep really well if I take benedryl before bed. Since it is allergy season, I frequently need one by the end of the day. But I don't want to have any sleeping problems from taking anything too much. I have Ambien too, but I try to use that sparingly. I just need life to get a little less crazy.

Carolyn said...

Yikes. Hang in there. I hate to suggest cutting back on blogging, but apparently spending time in front of the tv or computer before bedtime is the worst thing you can do for insomnia. I notice I sleep much better when I read a book before bed instead of numbing myself in front of something electronic. I also like to listen to very soothing music in bed. I listen carefully to the lyrics which helps shut off the chatter in my head.

I'm sure you've already thought of these things...

Either way, Good luck!