Friday, April 4, 2008

A Glimpse

Today I was able to glimpse into my future. And I didn't know what to with myself.

Like all Friday's, I had the day off. Yippee! I got up, reluctantly, and went through the morning routine. We got sweetP off to school. I had a doozy of a headache yesterday, so I took it easy this morning.


SweetE was excited that there was a brand new Backyardigans on, so I watched it with him. And before we knew it the morning was almost over. SweetE had been invited to a birthday party for two of his preschool classmates.

Now, when you have a shyish, mommy-devoted three year old, you cannot assume that your presence will not be required for the duration of the party. So I had no plans for the two hours that the party was supposed to last. And who plans a two hour party for 3 and 4 year olds. About 18 of them to be exact. That is one brave soul.

So we arrive at the party and as soon as we walk through the door, he super glues himself to me. After ten minutes, he is loosening his grip. His favorite buddy from preschool is there, allowing me to be about 5 feet from him. He wants no part of the parachute activity. He does not want to wear the pirate hat. He does not want to sit at the table to eat lunch.

Coax, coax, coax. He is sitting at the table, thumb in mouth. Responding to every question from a mystery adult with the faintest shake of the head. By this point there are about 8 parents of guests just hanging out watching. The hostess mom announces that she really hadn't planned for everyone to stay and that we should feel free to go. (I had warned her as soon as we walked through the door that sweetE can be shy and that I would be hanging out for a little while.) One by one the parents are leaving. SweetE is giving me the look that says "Don't you dare leave me."

Finally, I ask him if he needs me to stay. Faint nod. "Can mommy run an errand and then come back?" Long pause. Faint nod. Thumb still in mouth. I assure him that I will be back in a little while. And before I leave, I sign my insurance. I leave my cell number with the mom. Just in case.

And then I leave. I have no child with me on a weekday. I am not flying off to work. I am unencumbered. I do not know what to do with myself. Next school year, I will have one day every week with two and a half hours to myself. So I head off to Home Depot. I buy myself a human powered lawn mower. I go home. I read email. I still don't know what to do with myself. And then it is time to collect my little blue-eyed boy.

It turns out she thought she might need to call. He was crying at one point. But then he showed her his thumb and he had a paper cut. One boo-boo strip later, he was better. But told me all about his "bleed." As we left he was bouncing.

I'm not ready for him to get bigger. It will simplify life, but I love that he is still little.

3 comments:

RachelC said...

Oh man, your SweetE sounds just like my PBCup. She cannot stand change and bursts into tears when we talk about her staying for lunch at school next year. Enjoy the clingyness... it will be missed.

Susan said...

I think he'll always let you love him, even as he gets bigger. Mine still climb into bed with me from time to time on a lazy weekend morning, or in the evening. I am pretty sure my kids were a lot older than three when I left them at a party by themselves, or even at someone's house just to play for a few hours.

Carolyn said...

That was a sweet post. I can totally relate. Csilla's extremely attached to me. I had two hours to myself a couple of weeks ago and didn't know what to do with myself either.

Was is the "Super Spy" episode of The Backyardigans? That was on this weekend. Csilla loved it.

One more thing. There's an award over at my place for you...