Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Career Path


SweetP is trying out some career ideas. Just today, he has planned to be a zookeeper to penguins (for me) and snakes (for Ducky). Then he moved on to writer like Ducky and five minutes later to race car driver. So he could be rich and have trophies made of gold. I got worried because I have seen him play Excite Truck.

At bed time, he has decided that he might be a chef and maybe his friend from soccer will be too. I told him that I don't trust either of them with knives at this point. The other day he announced that he didn't know what he wants to be. And he is six and doesn't have to make those decisions yet.

So I tucked him in and told him to go to sleep. I reminded him that he has school tomorrow and he needs to learn all he can so he can be anything he wants to be.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and I have 35 years on him.

Susan said...

Good advice. I always think sleeping on it is the way to go.

Tonight at PTA we were getting a presentation from the Supt. about middle school programs for kids centered around careers. One mom near me laughed and said, "But they change their minds every other minute."

ped crossing said...

I am a firm believer in not closing any doors. Choosing a career path in middle school works for one half of one half of one percent on a good day. If I had chosen my path in middle school I would be an orthodontist today.