Monday, April 28, 2008

Location, Location, Location


You know the old saying about buying real estate. I have to admit that I love the location of our house. We liked it when we bought and like it more the longer we live here. Everything you need to survive is within walking distance. Except the grocery store I prefer. It is on the other side of a highway. I have a rule against crossing roads with more than four lanes. This one has eight, beauty of a major intersection. Aside from that one thing. I live in the perfect location.

I can walk to:
a grocery store (not preferred, but it is still there)
a major drug store
a movie theater
a toy store
multiple types of restaurants
the library
multiple parks
downtown for parades, farmers markets, community events
our elementary school
our middle school
multiple coffee shops
the post office
my hair salon
and goodness knows how many other things

And even with all of that, we only get a walk score of 72 out of 100. My childhood home gets a 34 out of 100, and it would have been much less when I lived there. I love living so close to everything. Share what your walk score is. Find it at WalkScore.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

I don't even have to visit the site to know that my Walk Score is probably about two. There are steep steep hills on all sides of us, and few things within walking distance even if it was flat. Without a second car, no wonder I'm going stir-crazy.

So jealous of your Walk Score!

Bwwaahahah. I just did it and got a seven. SEVEN. Seriously, I suck.

Great great post. I might have to talk about this tomorrow on my blog...

ped crossing said...

carolyn- you have beautiful views. and a lovely garden. it's something.

RachelC said...

I guessed right... a big fat 0! Yup, I can't walk anywhere, but my daughter can cut through some trees at the end of my street to get to her best friend's house, so that's something, huh? I have been thinking about this a lot lately and who nice it would be to be able to walk somewhere, anywhere... but I love my house and it's land... hate the gas eating machine!

Kim said...

My walk score is an eight. However, that's one of the reasons we moved out here past the edge of town. It's quiet, the lots are large, and all the traffic is local. The kids can play ball or skateboard or ride their bikes on the streets without worrying someone will whiz by and take them out. At night we're just far enough outside the town that the sky is black and the stars actually twinkle in the sky. There is something to be said for just a bit of isolation. After all, if I can get almost anything I need no more than five or six miles away.

LCM said...

I knew our old house in Oregon was bad, it got a 9. But our new one only got a 23 and I know it's better than that. There are tons of things within walking distance. I walked very quickly to Old Navy yesterday because hubby drove my van there to get picked up for the airport and it took no time at all. Our school is 2 minutes walking time from the front door to their back door. Love it!

LCM said...

OH, PS, that's why, when my sister moved to near where you live, I picked out their apartment for them, the one right next to the school because they were big fans of walking. It was the sister that came to the book club.

the rotten correspondent said...

We live in a great walking town, but I have no idea what kind of score we'll get. We can walk downtown easily from our house, and there are sometimes days I never even get in the car.

It really feels nice to be able to do it.

the rotten correspondent said...

wow. I got a 78.

Suzie Petunia said...

Your house IS in a great location for walking. Wish mine was! But I like our little corner of town, too.

-Ann said...

Funny enough, they couldn't find my address. :) I expect my score would be quite low, in the teens or twenties. I can walk to 2 small shops, the church, 2 pubs, and 1 tiny cafe. Plus my job.

My childhood home scored 48.
Our little house in Wheaton got a 62.
And the apartment in Chicago where we lived for five years got a whopping 82.

I guess there are some advantages to living in a big city - although I wouldn't want to go back to it!