Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh, to be Three


My dear sweetE has us in stitches these days. Step back if you will to the logic of a three year old.

Every morning I get sweetE dressed. He always wants to wear the Spiderman underpants with Captain America, Wolverine and "Incredible by the Hulk." They are clearly his favorites. And since you only get fun underpants when you are little, we indulge him.

These favorite characters have the unfortunate placement of being on the tushie side of the underpants. The side of the underpants that the three year old cannot see when they being worn. This causes a problem.

In the last week he has solved this problem. As only a three year old can.

When he heads to the bathroom to get down to business, he strips off all clothes on the lower half. Both of my boys have been morally opposed to letting their pants hang out by the ankles. SweetP has outgrown this philosophy, but sweetE hasn't.

Fast forward to the finished part, no one wants to linger anyway. And my sweetE gets himself dressed again. But every time without fail, he puts his underpants on backwards. He knows they are backwards. But since he is in charge of getting himself put back together, he puts those underpants on so he can enjoy Spidey and all his friends.

It doesn't seem to be all that comfortable. But the next time he makes a pit stop in the bathroom he gets to check out his super friends.

And at this point, there is no reasoning with him. So we just have to laugh. He'll outgrow it sooner or later, then it can just be one of those embarrassing stories that we pull out when we meet his girlfriends.

8 comments:

laurie said...

oh, this did make me laugh. there's a certain logic to what he's doing, of cousre. and boys and superheroes are hilarious.

i have a wonderful picture of pmiller's son when he was about the same age as SweetE. he is clad in full batman regalia, hat and mask and all, standing in a field clutching a bouquet of daffodils.

that picture is priceless. especially since the boy is now 18 years old and has a scruffy beard.

Kim said...

I have a picture of a little boy, aged about three, wearing only his sister's pink cowboy boots and a big smile, sweetly offering a cup of tea to the camera.

He's 14 now. I have to hide the picture so he doesn't destroy it.

Every time we talk about it, my husband says, "Would you like some tea?" and bursts into almost incontrollable laughter.

Get a picture, Ped.

Kim said...

Ok, in case you didn't know, incontrollable is my own word, a combination of involuntary and uncontrollable, invented when my brain was working too quickly for my fingers to keep up.

Argh.

the rotten correspondent said...

I just have two points:

1. You don't have to outgrow the fun undies. When I graduated nursing school one of my buddies gave me a pair of SuperGirl red and blue bikini undies. I wear them on go-to-hell days.

2. What makes you so sure that boys ever get their undies on rightsided?

I'm just sayin'...

LCM said...

Fiona has these with Sleeping Beauty's face right across the tushie. When she puts them on I joke that I get to slap her face when I pat Fiona's buns. Heehee. Miss your underoos a bit, huh?

Carolyn said...

Hilarious. I could write a book about the logic of a three-year-old right now. Classic. Thanks for sharing.

Potty Mummy said...

Of course, you may find that his girlfriends already know. Because somewhere out there, there will be a website selling these underpants in adult sizes...

Anonymous said...

Perfect out of doors front door just can't prevent the [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#921]north face outlet[/URL] step to celebration. People today start using their very own imagination to dress tasteful and delightful. Youngsters try to make attire far more striking, [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1172]the north face outlet[/URL] that may find much more snack they like. Even so, so how exactly does Trick or treat live without big garments in addition to comfy running shoes?