Friday, March 14, 2008

Day Two

Once again I have returned home unscathed. I took my preventative Advil at about 2:30 today as the first twinge of headache emerged. And I am still headache free.

Our room was a snarky-free zone, so that was a relief. Only a few students were ready for conferences to be over before they even entered the room. Generally because they had a lengthy list of missing work. But even those went smoothly.

Half the family is showing more wear and tear from the last two days. Ducky is worn out from being an almost single dad the last two days. He got dumped on by clients while simultaneously keeping the boys out of mischief. SweetE lost it tonight when mommy grumped at him. He had dragged his chair over to where I was going to make garlic bread. And left it in such a way that I could not get the refrigerator open. Normally not a big deal, he would just get down and wait until I was ready. But two days without mommy and I looked over and oh boy. He was looking down, breathing hard and not making another noise. His shoulders started to shake and the ragged cries started. He was dripping tears and unable to talk, and he was just so sad. Ducky offered to take him, but I knew that would compound the problem.

So we spent a few minutes putting the world right again and then he helped me make the garlic bread. That also means that he wants me to take him to the 8 am soccer game in the morning. And I am so tired.

Ahhhh! A just double checked the soccer schedule and our game doesn't start until 9!!! Oh happy day!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Changes in routine were always hard for my kids, but especially for my middle one. He likes for things to be just as he expects them to be. He's a bit more flexible now, at 14, but it's been a long haul.

I'm glad you got through so well. I bet the weekend gets the family all back into good shape. Relax and have a nice one.

laurie said...

dang, what a good mom you are, ped.

most moms--and i do not fault them at all--would have snapped at him in that situation.

you showed an awful lot of patience and love.

Jane said...

Hope you get a bit of relaxation this weekend, even if it is in a deckchair on the edge of a soccer pitch.

ped crossing said...

SweetE has always been a mommy's boy to the core. And when he has to go without for too long, he begins to lose it.

laurie - I snapped at him and that was the problem. But knowing him the way that I do, I know how to make it all better. And his hugs are worth every second of time it takes.

Welcome expatkat! It won't be too relaxing, but the basement of the YMCA on a bench is better than the camping chair in the rain (fall soccer).