Monday, March 24, 2008

My Fondness of Easter


Long, long ago in a land far, far away (in another state), there was a very special Easter. And I have had a real fondness for the holiday ever since. You see, I was an Easter baby. And while my birthday is not until next month, Easter makes me think about it. Call it my birthday season.

We lived in a small picturesque town. There was a small hospital there. My brother was born in that hospital. And the story goes that the doctor who delivered him was drunk. He came out blue with the cord wrapped around his neck. He recovered, some would say completely. My mother vowed to never use that doctor or that hospital again.

So when she became pregnant with me, she went to a different doctor that delivered at the somewhat bigger hospital one town over. My mother wanted a girl. Even took measures to make sure she got one. What those measures are, I don't know and don't want to. But apparently it worked. Because she got me. My dad has joked for years that doctor declared I was a boy and my mother said to put it back. For all of her desire to have a girl, I still can't understand why I am not the favorite.

And one spring day or night, no one ever told me, she headed out of town to have a baby. I was born at 11 something in the morning. I kept that poor doctor from going to church on Easter Sunday. I would like to believe that he got to participate in a miracle and that is better than any church service. My brother might disagree with that whole miracle concept.

After I was cleaned up, the hospital gave me an adorable pink bunny outfit. Their last one. And I was cute too. I would show a picture, except I don't have one scanned in. Sadly, that cute pink outfit was the first of many. I spent my early years dressed solidly in pink. It took me over thirty years to wear anything pink again.

Now, I relish thinking about the boys Easter baskets. I love coloring eggs. And hunting eggs. Easter marks the beginning of my birthday season or the end. My birthday has not been celebrated on Easter since. But one day it will.

This picture is of me and my brother on my third Easter. I was almost or just barely two. I love the big smile on my face. And all those eggs.

6 comments:

laurie said...

what a great story! a newborn baby--you--in a bunny costume. it doesn't get much more adorable than that.

and if your brother really was born with the cord around his neck and a blue face, that might explain why he's the favorite. because they almost lost him.

Kim said...

Adorable. You two look precious. I love the pinafore.

I had a Christmas baby. When we went home, the nurses put her into a big stocking.

Potty Mummy said...

I see you're wearing a bonnet in the photo. How can you say you're not your mum's favourite - she clearly loved dressing you up!

Susan said...

I had to wait until I was 44 to have my birthday on Easter! I asked for a special basket from See's Candy and it really made the day special. My birthday will fall on Easter once more in the next couple of years, and then not again for a very very long time.

Happy pre-Birthday!

Rudee said...

What a nice story. My birthday this year was the day after Easter. I never knew until this year how to calculate when the Christian Easter would fall. It's the first Sunday after the Paschul full moon.

This place will tell you your next Easter birthday:
http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html#List20

BTW, I found your site through RCs.
Ruth

Kelly(M&M) said...

What a sweet story, thanks for sharing it! I look forward to seeing you at Book Club on Tuesday. I am just catching up on blogs. :-) Good job on your resolution keeping! I would love to see your kids' favorites books. I am always trying to think of ways to document my kiddos.