Monday, March 17, 2008

The Need for Naps


Today was one of those days that I just wasn't ready for. Ducky and I both felt a little ill this morning. And I was tired. And didn't feel entirely prepared for my day.

But it went fine, except it was really cold and windy when I had recess duty. And I got a headache, possibly migraine. But I had all the necessary medicine in my purse. Then I was just exhausted, barely able to keep my eyes open for the rest of the afternoon. We had a staff meeting today where we played with paint. Fun, but I had so many other more pressing things I needed to get done.

Then the boys wanted all of my attention the minute I walked through the door. It is nice to be so loved, but boy was I tired. We got the homework done. Then I let the boys watch a Backyardigans. And I took a little cat nap on the couch with them. And I feel so much better now. Perky, happy, chipper even. If only I had been able to take it about 5 hours sooner. I could have been so productive.

I am a firm believer that the world would be a much happier place if we all took naps. They do such wonderful things for energy and attitude. We could be productive and pleasant. And maybe even giddy. See what a nap does for me. I should take more of them.

5 comments:

LCM said...

Have you seen that Seinfeld where George has a place built under his desk for naps, while he's working for the Yankees? Awesome. My hubby is a firm believer as well and says I should take them more. Makes me feel like a slacker as a SAHM, like I should be doing something productive...I guess it is productive in it's own way, huh?

Potty Mummy said...

I love naps - but rarely take them. When I do though, I wonder why I normally ignore the possibility and drag myself exhausted through the day so often...

Kim said...

When I first started staying home, a nap made me feel guilty. Not anymore! If I need one, I take one. Naps rock!

Jane said...

If I nap I can't sleep at night. Gets my system out of routine and it can take me days to get back on track again :-(

-Ann said...

I do so love a good nap. I had the whole gamut of naps during my long weekend. I had the 2+ hour long indulgent nap, I had the 1 hr wake-up-groggy nap, and I had a 20 minute power nap.