Wednesday, March 12, 2008

High Wire Act

Tomorrow and Friday I get to perform my high wire act. The one where I simultaneously have to talk about how great each child is (and they are, each in their own way) while also laying it all on the line about the ways in which they need to improve.

Some will be easy. Some will be very hard. Some parents will be great and helpful and realistic. Some parents will be bewildered by the fact that we (my teaching partner and I) don't agree that their child is perfect.

It is a nerve wreaking couple of days. The worst part is having to be "on" for almost 10 hours straight tomorrow and then almost 8 hours on Friday. It requires a lot of energy. And by the end, we are barely coherent and lose all ability to think and speak clearly. At least I get to do conferences with someone, it makes it a lot easier.


I like meeting the parents. It tells us so much about the child. There are generally many "a-ha" moments. Puzzle pieces fall into place and it reminds the child that (mostly) we work together. So, I don't mind, except I get totally exhausted. And when I am totally exhausted, I usually get a big, bad headache. I already had one that started today. My medication cleared it up and I am okay for the moment. So I have fear for how well I will hold up physically the next few days.

It is on weeks like this that I am ever so thankful that I don't have to work full time all the time. I really don't know how people do it. I know I did it before, but I didn't have kids then.

5 comments:

-Ann said...

I'm not sure how long you've been a teacher, but have you seen a changing trend in the way parents behave? That whole helicopter-my-kid-can-do-no-wrong sort of thing?

Good luck - I hope you get through it quickly and unscathed.

Kim said...

I know how exhausted you must get from watching Mom all those years. You'd love having my husband in a conference. He always starts with, "Well, is there anything good to tell us?"

Our kids are all bright and excellent students. Hubby is just a pessimist and a smart ass.

Susan said...

When my kids were young I couldn't imagine working full time either. It is a lot different now that they are in high school. You'll find your way, and it is nice not to have to work full time when they are young.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Amy, Just stopping by to say hello. I never thought about parent teacher conferences from the teacher perspective. But then again, my child is perfect so I am sure I don't cause her any stress. :-) Actually, I am sure Dallin's teacher wonders how he is my child because he is so calm and unlike me. :-) Good luck with day #2! I think you are pretty fantastic. One of these days I will make it to Book Club.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.