Sunday, November 4, 2007

Unofficial Fun Monday


It is late and I am tired, so I am borrowing Fun Monday material without officially participating.

The goal is to post a holiday tradition. I had the brilliant idea two years ago to start the annual Christmas countdown with more than the advent calendar. I decided that starting on the first of December, I would read the boys a book about Christmas or winter every night through Christmas. It has made a fun bedtime ritual for us to look forward to each night. The boys take turns choosing the book we will read. Since I am a teacher, I have lots of books to choose from and if there is a specific one I want, I use the school library. It takes the emphasis off of stuff and emphasizes spending time together.

As for food, nothing can beat the "Pink Salad." The one with cranberries, pineapple, marshmallows and whipping cream. Yum. I saw fresh cranberries at the store last week and grabbed a bag and made it on Thursday. It was November, let the holidays begin!

3 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

You are so full of good ideas and great advice. I'm so lucky you are a friend of my friend's so that we could meet and be friends, too. (That was a terribly ill-constructed sentence, but you get the idea, right?) I want to try the book idea this holiday season. But I need more books.

laurie said...

now that is a terrific ritual. closeness, togetherness, no cost, and reading. that's the best.

Susan said...

When my kids were little we celebrated advent by making candles and picking out which ones to light at dinner every night. I love your story idea! I would love your pink salad recipe - it sounds delicious and I've never had it!