Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I Have Homework


Also known as I've been Memed. As we know from previous posts, I don't follow meme rules exactly. I don't pass on homework. I do enough of that at work, but if you want to play along feel free. This one is free form, 6 things about me.

1. I would be a hermit if I didn't have children or a dog. I will gladly hang out in the house for days on end, except my children won't let me. I got my allotment of outdoorsy-ness when I was a child. Forced to ride mile after mile on a Shetland pony most weekends, eating lots of dust because I was always last in line. Scarred for life. Within my comfort zone I am too social for my own good, outside of the zone, I have to force myself to participate.

2. I have a big mouth. I have told peoples secrets. I admit it. If you don't tell me to keep my mouth shut I won't. If you do, then I'll take that secret to my grave. You just have to be specific, very specific.

3. I am honest to a fault. I am sometimes blunt. If you ask what I think, I'll tell you. I do have a filter and engage it often, but if you really want to know, I'll tell you. It has been my downfall in a couple of relationships, but I feel I am better off without them.

4. Growing up I believed I was a princess who had been swapped at the hospital. I could not be related to my brother and he shared that opinion. I had to have been the one swapped, he was the only baby in the hospital when he was born. I waited for my "real" parents to come and take me away. Never happened. People say they see the resemblance between us, but we don't see it. Deep down, I am still a princess, swapped at birth.

5. I have to be good at everything. I have what I call "Fear of Success, Fear of Failure" syndrome. I can't fail, it isn't an option, never has been. If you succeed then more is expected of you. So I tend to procrastinate, but then I can't fail, so I scramble to get it done and pull an all nighter and it turns out great. I hate it when my projects don't live up to my expectations. I get cranky when things don't work out.

6. I am an all or nothing sort of person. If I am going to clean the living room, that means dusting, moving the furniture, vacuuming, putting all the miscellaneous stuff away and then putting it all back together. When I do it, I do a really good job. Ducky gets frustrated I don't do it more often. The problem: I get distracted when putting things in other rooms. I get started on something else and before you know it, I have half done stuff everywhere and am totally overwhelmed. Or I leave piles. All of these things drive Ducky nuts. But it is who I am and he said till death do us part, not until the mess drives you over the edge. I need about 3 months with nothing else to do and then I might be caught up, cleaned up and ready for anything.

So that is my 6 things. Feel free to share 6 random facts, quirks or stories about you.

Note to Laurie, I would use a lighter shade of the gold that you used in the living room. Not exciting, but it is a small space and you want it to be light, bright and blend with the other two rooms. That is the best I can do without the aid of visuals. :)

5 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

Okay, I'm catching up and I'm late, but still...

I love your facts. I love the fact that you did such personal facts and made them so meaningful. It's so easy with these things to do "easy facts" and you didn't.

I'm a loner too. I totally get it.

laurie said...

hmmm, light gold. i hadn't even thought of that, but i like that idea. it would go well with the red kitchen, too (which has gold roller shades). what color would you paint the woodwork?

re your meem: you're half me, half my opposite. fascinating.

ped crossing said...

Laurie: What is your woodwork in the other two rooms? I would try to match it. Otherwise, white is always an option.

I love how much we learn about each other through our blogs! And how we find people we can relate to.

laurie said...

ped: all the other woodwork in the house is natural. but the woodwork in the entry way has been painted many times. so now i'm thinking: white baseboards and ceiling, gold walls, and a red side door???

or is the red too much? it's a VERY small space.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Amy,

Sorry about the homework, but I am glad I picked you because I feel such a kinship with you now. I knew when I first met you at Book Club that we were very similar.

Except for the loner part, I am so codependent it is not funny. Ask Sarah, I never like being by myself. (Although, I do like to go to the bathroom without kids hanging on me. Does that count?)