Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting Out the Door


There is a reason I don't travel much. If you recall, it was a mere month ago that I headed to Reno for the blessed wedding. Of which there is only 2 photos of me and I have my sunglasses on in both. Otherwise I look cute popping up in the second row. Apparently no one told the photographer that short people go in front, or at least not behind tall people. But, I digress.

So it has been a whole month since I went anywhere farther than 10 miles away. You would think that I shouldn't have any problems getting ready to head out again. I had just barely almost gotten caught up from missing a weekend of chores, homework and mundane life. And this time I had to pack for more than just little, old me.

I had grand plans to get the last four loads of laundry done and all the packing done before my sweetP got out of school. But there were a few snags. SweetE needed to have his preschool photos redone. That was a painful hour. He was all happy and bouncy and cute until the moment we got in the room where the equipment was set up. Then his head went down, his lip went out and his thumb went in. And that is where he intended to leave them. I was bribing him with hot cocoa with whipped cream. And dirt or worms. Anything to make him smile, laugh, be himself. (I'm kidding about the dirt and worms.) I crouched down below him and held his thumb. And we coaxed and cajoled and hemmed and hawed and tried and he is a very stubborn little boy. We finally got something better than the first shot, but not the cute personality that I see every day. That personality reappeared the moment we left the room. The instant we walked out the door. He bounced, he smiled, he laughed. I had to laugh with him.

My girlfriend had planned to pick him up and take him to the soccer house to play with her little boys, but we were running behind. So I agreed to drop him there and head home to get stuff done. But, I had to be home in an hour to watch my neighbors kids. So I ran to the grocery store to get food for the trip and back to the soccer house to pick him up. One load of laundry has been done by this point. I realize I never said goodbye before I left and am praying that he has not realized this and hasn't been crying the entire time. My girlfriend is a backup mom, but this is the kid that cries a river if you don't wave to him at the window after a hug, a kiss and a bye-bye before you go out the door.

He is waiting by the window, but no tears. So off we go home, pull in to the garage, get the groceries in the kitchen and ding dong. It's the neighbors. Once a month I watch my neighbors kids while she volunteers in her other kids classrooms and once a month she watches sweetE while I go to sweetP's class. It was her week to volunteer. No problem.

Somehow, I still manage to get two loads of laundry in and the groceries put away. I get the box of food packed and not much else. Here comes sweetP. We are supposed to be leaving in a half hour. No problem. As soon as that last load of wash gets out, we will be ready to go. Original departure time 3 pm. Whizzes right past. 4 pm, whoosh. 5 pm, zoom. 5:15, I am ready to go. Ducky is doing the OCD lock up routine. It takes 20 minutes. The rest of us are in the car, waiting. 5:40, we hit the road.

Hello, rush hour!

By request:
Pink Salad aka Cranberry Salad aka Yumminess
1 bag fresh or frozen cranberries
1 can pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple (I like the tidbits)
1 bag small marshmallows
1 scant cup sugar
1/2 - 1 pint whipping cream

chop up cranberries into small bits
add pineapple, marshmallows and sugar
let sit in refrigerator overnight

whip the whipping cream
fold into cranberry mix (I like it less creamy so I usually only use about a 1/2 pint)

I think it is better if it sits for a few hours in the refrigerator before you serve it. It sweetens the whipped cream a bit. But it can be served immediately. Also, very tasty as left overs.

3 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Sounds like the way I leave for a trip. I hope one day I will do everything the day before. Somehow I doubt it. I hope your weekend was peaceful. I am anxious to try that yummy salad!

laurie said...

you are SO efficient.

and i love the idea of bribing him with dirt and worms! (and cocoa.)

Susan said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I'm catching up on blogs late this week...it's a busy one.