Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fun Monday

I am officially joining the Fun Monday ranks. What can I say, I like knowing I am not the only one in over my head on a regular basis.

Here is the assignment from Blue Momma.
I want you to show me your......projects. More to the point, I want to see your unfinished projects. I have so many that I really need some reassurance that I'm not the only one. Home improvement projects are what I have in mind, but it you don't have any of those show me any kind of project - needlework, cooking, scrapbooking, etc. You can even show me your spouse if they qualify as a work in process.

And please, I WANT PICTURES!!!! You can talk if you want, but you don't have to. I know since you are all bloggers talk is bound to happen, but I most definitely want to see photos of those unfinished projects.



Let me start with the pit of despair, also known as Mommy's work room. I painted it back in February. And I have been planning get it organized every day since. I am really looking forward to having a work space to sew, read, relax, create, etc. But right now it just depresses me. I did manage to get two baby blankets sewn in there today, but still got depressed by the mess. Note to Ducky, you are not allowed to comment on my mess!


The laundry closet. We remodeled that back in January. We put in new floors, new cabinets and painted. Then we had the electrician come in to put in new can lights and move the light switch. Good thing we did, there was a fire hazard in there. But now the paint needs to be touched up and we still haven't gotten the pivot doors. The closet is on a hallway and every time I do laundry I end up banging into those doors because they close up half the hall. Arghhh.


The blessed stairs. We started this project in July and getting the stairs done is taking forever. SweetE likes the construction look, he is allowed to pound on them with his hammer as much as he wants. We are tired of the construction look. We love the remodel, we are glad we turned the stairs, but we are so ready to be done!


Here are the treads to go on the blessed stairs. I have made progress this weekend. I have four coats of finish on them. They still need a light sanding with an extra fine grit paper and then one last coat of finish. Then they can be installed. But when? By Christmas, please before Christmas. This is the third set of treads for the blessed stairs. Do not operate power tools while distracted. I cut every tread too short. That was the first set. Then we hired an incompetent contractor. He cut them all crooked. That was the second set. This is the third set. We are back to the original contractor. The one that turned the stairs, but who knows when he will get to it. Please before Christmas!


This is the new patio door. That leaks. As you can see we haven't finished the drywall and trim around it. The door people have supposedly ordered a new insert, but it should have been here a week ago. In the meantime, it has ruined my grass rug in front of the door. And I need to sand, mud, sand, texture, prime, paint and put up the molding. Dang, I'm tired.


The fireplace. I do not like this brick fireplace. I loathe this brick fireplace. But I vowed I would not start a new project until all projects in progress are completed and I have more money. So I have to look at it. The hearth is two different heights. The mantle is weird. I admit it could be a lot worse. But I still want to get rid of it.


As we were getting ready to head to the beach a few weeks ago, the deadbolt on the front door broke. It was stuck in the locked position. So right when we got back, I had to take it apart and put in a new one. At least I had the new one in my possession. When we replaced the patio door, I bought a new front door handle at the same time. I had planned to put it on the new front door when we got it. But instead I got to put it on the old front door. But only the deadbolt part. The handle has an extra fastener that would require a hole to be drilled in the door. I really don't want to drill and get it in the wrong place and then have to buy the new door now. There is that whole money thing and I have expensive taste. So we have a new deadbolt, an old handle and it now requires two keys to get in the front door.

I did not photograph my bedroom, but it still has white walls and I have the paint in the garage. I just don't have the time and that would technically be starting a new project.

The list continues, but I still have to plan my lessons for tomorrow. Another day, I can share all the non home improvement projects that need finishing.

14 comments:

MaR said...

You've got some projects there!! Hope you get your room done soon, just for you, it sounds lovely!

The fireplace isn't bad, look at the fire instead !
Happy Monday, mine is posted :)

Hootin Anni said...

Lots and LOTS of work I see in these photos. Good luck. [I actually LIKE the fireplace...it's not bad. Wait 'til it's full of soot---then get it done. LOL]

laurie said...

hmmmm. that projects room looks like a great place. those rooms should NOT be neat; it stifles the creativity. i like that room just the way it is.

the deadbolt: yep, we had our basement door sanded down last year and i stained it; it's beautiful now. but in the sanding process, they somehow bent the deadbolt and it no longer works.

what will you do with the fireplace? rip it out entirely? or cover over the brick with tile or something?

Sandy said...

I understand that you do not like your fireplace but I love it! I love the old brick and the stories and the memories and the years that it evokes.

Robinella said...

For the mantle, build a wood mantle over the weird tiered brick one. If you like the brick, just clean them up or you can paint them. Use several colors in earthy hues. Will look fabu!

the rotten correspondent said...

I'm feeling a lot better about this Fun Monday now that I'm seeing other people's projects. Your crafts room is wonderful, though. Is it really just yours? Ahhhh...

After a bit of a blog reading slump I'm all caught up. I certainly hope that Velcro has stopped puking, or at the very least is doing it on a hard surfaced floor.

Glad you're doing Fun Monday!

A Slice of My Life said...

Those poor blessed stairs. It seems as though they do not want to have treads on them!

I like the fireplace too. Although I agree that a wooden mantle would add more charm.

Anonymous said...

You have work to do, too! I feel so much better after reading all of these Fun Mondays! Too bad everyone doesn't live closer and we could have group work days!

the planet of janet said...

stairs. *shudder* that's what's in my future too.

Tiggerlane said...

Wow...I am amazed (after our adventure in building) that we even THOUGHT we could remodel our old Victorian...and you guys are doing pretty well! It will get done - have faith!

ped crossing said...

The consensus seems to be that the fireplace is okay. And mostly it is. Which is why it is fairly low on the priority list. Except the hearth. That there is a half inch difference between the bricks makes it so nothing will sit properly on it.

Laurie: I don't mind some mess, but I don't have any work space. So it needs some work, so it is useful.

Robinella: I might just paint it over in the meantime, but we plan to rip it out eventually.

RC: Yes, it is mine, all mine! I guess I left messes on the dining room table too many times. Ducky was hoping to contain the mess. It has mostly worked. Yes, Velcro seems to be better. I think he ate something in the yard that didn't agree with him. He forgets he has a delicate stomach.

Blue: If we did work days, Punkin and sweetE could play. Mostly I can't get anything done when the boys are around. It is getting better as they get older.

Janet: It will be worth it when they are done!

Tigger: I know it will bet done, but not as fast as we would like.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Unknown said...

Welcome to Fun Monday.

Your construction means things are actually in progress...much better than just looking at eye sore!

Unknown said...

Radiant flooring? Is that heated floors? We live in Texas. We'd need our floors cooled!

Joy T. said...

Definitely lots of work to be done. Your project room is really cool!