Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Rest of the Beach Saga



I love sunsets on the beach. And when a storm is rolling in, they are even better. Sometime on Sunday night, a storm rolled in. And made itself known. It shook the house. The power went out, briefly. The rain pounded on the windows. We were all cozy in the house. And still happy. I love the beach when it storms. It is so interesting to just watch from the safety and warmth of the house.


Monday morning, we had to get ready to leave. And I had to watch the storm. The waves were crashing. The sand was flying. The water was headed north instead of east along the shore. The sturdy ocean trees were shaking with the wind. Ducky and I took turns going down to see the ocean. I stayed up on the hill, he went down on the beach. The driftwood logs that had been there the night before were virtually buried by the blowing sand. The gusts were so strong I had to catch myself to keep from getting blown down. We would later learn there were gusts up to 80 mph.

We packed ourselves in the car and opted to head home using the northern route. The southern route has a tendency to flood and we didn't want to experience that. So we headed home and watched the storm rage around us. At one point we went over a bridge and without any protection the car did a little rocking and bouncing. A scene from the movie Twister floated through my head. I had to laugh because this is Ducky's travel kharma at its best. Something always happens when he travels. Freeway shooting, hail in July, wind storm, both headlights going out within a half hour, something.

We made it home safely, with enough time to enjoy the afternoon at home.

5 comments:

laurie said...

ah, that sounds great. i love storms, too!

Suzie Petunia said...

We really are kindred spirits.

Susan said...

I love beach storms. I remember one hurricane when we were at the beach when I was a kid. Spectacular. I love rain in general. I grew up in the east where the sun sets over the bay, here it sets over the ocean and I have never gotten used to it. So much glare in the late afternoon when I am sitting there relaxing.

Susan said...

p.s. love your pictures!!!

Kelly(M&M) said...

My favorite thing is beach sunsets. I also loved sunsets in Utah, which weren't near the beach. :-) I am glad you enjoyed your weekend. And it is always nice to come home early enough to still enjoy time at home.