Saturday, December 8, 2007

Whoosh....


Tonight Ducky was working on the annual DVD. It looks amazing. I watched hour life over the past year and can't believe how much has changed. SweetE needed a translator back in April. Now, he is a non-stop talking machine. SweetP is growing up and getting more independent by the day. Wow, that year went fast!

I feel like my life is on a treadmill that is set just a little too high. Okay, a lot too high. And I am only staying on by sheer grit. And at any moment, I am going to go flying off. I'm not sure where the month of November went. I don't really remember it. And here we are a week into December and I haven't even started to do my shopping yet. I am normally close to done before Thanksgiving. My shopping cart at Amazon is rapidly emptying because things are selling out. Yikes! And I have two weeks of planning to do to keep me sane at work.

But I had an awesome day today. SweetE had a playdate with a friend from school. And they played and ran and wore themselves out. He fell asleep as I was making him a grilled cheese. He never ate the sandwich. I had to wake him up to go collect sweetP from school. We read Christmas books before bed. There were hugs and kisses and I love you's. My house is a little cleaner. My DVR is a little emptier. Mount Laundry is a lot shorter. My to do list is the same length. But I don't care. The important stuff will get done. I will hang in there. We will have fun this weekend. With any luck, I will be ready for Monday before Monday comes. I better get to bed. It is already Saturday.

4 comments:

laurie said...

my hat's off to you, ped, with a full-time job and two small sweet children. no wonder you feel like you're going to go flying into the abyss. i feel that way by friday night, and i have no children. i'd never make it.

tell me about the DVD you're making--do you get together as a family and view it on christmas?

my family does something similar, but with still pictures, not movies. we all contribute 15 pictures from our year and my brother puts together a show that we watch after christmas dinner.

it's always tough to narrow it down to 15.

ped crossing said...

Fortunately, I only work part time. I don't know how people work full time with children.

We use iMovie to compile and edit our movies from the year. Then we burn it onto DVD and send it out to family as their Christmas gift. The movies are just from our little family. Everyone loves the DVD and we get in trouble if we forget to send one to someone.

laurie said...

wow, what a great idea.

my brother makes copies of the slide show, too--in the beginning, we used actual slides, but a few years ago we went digital, and now he burns everyone a copy and mails them out.

(when it was still in slide form, we used to mail the slide carousel full of slides around the country so that everyone in the family could see it. sometimes people didn't get to see it until may.)

hmmm.... you might have inspired another blog posting from me....

the rotten correspondent said...

I love the idea of a family DVD for gifts. Fun for you to relive and make and fun for your family to get.

You're absolutely right that what needs to get done will. Enjoy the down time. The crap will still be there when you're done.