Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Dance


Tonight I dragged the boys back to school to see my students in their dance competition. They have been learning how to ballroom dance for the last 6 weeks. You would think that we were torturing them. Slowly and painfully based on their complaints.

But for all the moaning, they had a good time. It was fun to see them in a different environment. And to not be in charge of them for the event. They were all dressed up and acting very proper. It is like a window into the future.

SweetE informed me on the way home, after he woke up, that he needed a girl. I asked him if he meant a sister. Because that isn't going to happen. Apparently a sister would do, but he meant that he needed a girl when he learns to dance. I had to hold him up so he could see the entire time. Until he fell asleep. I guess he thought it looked like fun. SweetP was bouncing with the beat. I wonder if that will change by the time he is in 5th grade. They were so patient the whole time. There were not enough seats so we stood the entire time. SweetP didn't complain once. Such good boys.

On another note, my sweetP received an award at school today. Academic Excellence in Mathematics! My little clone. His mathematical mommy could not be prouder. I wasn't surprised. He goes around making everything into a pattern and working out addition and subtraction problems that he makes up. But it is always nice when an impartial party agrees with you.

4 comments:

laurie said...

wow, a math prize! good little man!

i remember having to do ballroom dancing when i was in fifth grade, too. we were getting to the age where the boys didn't want to touch the girls in any way, shape or form. but it was fun anyway.

the rotten correspondent said...

Congrats on the math prize. That's very cool.

My fifth grader came home just yesterday and told me that they had done ballroom dancing in gym yesterday for the very first time. He was all stressed out about the boy/girl thing, but then they ran out of girls so he had to dance with his best (male) friend. Can you say NOT AMUSED??

Susan said...

Yea for the math prize!!! I remember in 5th grade that when it was cold out we square danced for PE right in the classroom. Today my 10th grade son came home complaining that they had to dance in PE. He was not a happy camper! Girls are so annoying. I doubt, however, that they were doing anything but hip hop at this age. Just as bad I guess.

ped crossing said...

RC - We had an excess of boys too. The dance instructor brought extra girls from the middle school dance club to dance with left over boys. Then no one had to dance with another boy.

I had to do square dancing in 4th grade. And I couldn't say that I loved my partner either. But we all survived. Just remind them that it makes them more coordinated and better at sports. That got most of my boys to quit complaining.