Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh, What a Week!


This week was a train wreck. Sunday night, I just wanted to write a check from the business account. Otherwise I was ready to head to bed. And then it happened. A software glitch, not a virus, just poorly programed software erased our entire desktop of every single file. All my worksheets, all Ducky's files he had at home, all the home movies. In about 3 seconds. Gone, all gone. I can handle the loss of worksheets, I can recreate those. Ducky has his own computer which he backs up weekly, so most of his stuff is fine. But the movies. All the raw footage. And about half of it was taken with is camera so there is no tape backup. That is what bothers me.

So I immediately shoot off an email to the company. And they call us right back. It is 11:30 on a Sunday night. We are not to use the computer, they are trying to figure out what went wrong and will try to save our files. So I was once again banished from the computer.

Agony! I am not addicted to blogging. I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to. So days without getting on the computer was challenging. But I survived.

So Tuesday, day two computerless, I get a cold. Oh goodie.

Wednesday, day three without the computer. I feel worse. My students get to watch 40 minutes about the sun and stars. A lot of the info is over their heads but the images are really cool. And they know I don't feel well and act pretty well. Like I have said before, they are pretty good kids. Ducky lets me know that sweetP didn't get to eat lunch at school. Apparently, it took most of the lunch time for him to get his milk. And then when he finally got to sit down to eat, he was told it was time to go. At back to school night, they said that kids can stay and finish. Ducky ate lunch with sweetP a few weeks ago and he said, it didn't seem like an option to stay and finish. And sweetP is such a rule follower that when they say go, he goes.

We get the verdict on the computer. Go pick up some data recovery software and run it. So off to the computer store I go. High ho, high ho, it's off to shop I go. And deal with cranky drivers on the way there. But my parking kharma holds and I get a good spot close to the store. I don't have to slog in from the back forty in the rain to get the stuff. With my cold.

Ducky goes to run the software and you need an external hard drive to run it. That way it won't write over the stuff it is trying to save. And then we wait while it does it stuff to see what it could save. And it takes hours. And then it is done. And the only thing we can tell that it didn't save is the movies. It has the movie project files, but no actual movies. They are all gone.

Which brings us to yesterday. When life seemed to looking up. I hurried home from work. So we could head out to see the Christmas light display and ride the train. SweetE was tired and a little cranky. But, as usual, the lights were magical and it wasn't raining and it wasn't too cold. It was perfect. And then we headed out to our favorite restaurant from the old neighborhood. And yummy!

It is past the boys bedtime and we are ready to be home when BAM! We get rear-ended. SweetE slept through the whole thing. SweetP wanted to know what happened and proceeded to ask questions non-stop for 20 minutes until we were headed home again. There is a lovely new line on the bumper. But who knows what it looks like underneath. So now we have a new thing to deal with.

The good news. I am feeling a little better. I am going in to eat lunch with sweetP today. I get to use the computer again. And the stairs are being worked on while I type this. They should be in by the end of the day. Fingers crossed. Pictures tomorrow if they are in!

5 comments:

laurie said...

you lost your movies, you got a cold AND you got rear-ended? holy st. patrick.

all i can say is, you have used up your quota of bad luck for the rest of this month,and most of next.

glad you're feeling better. sorry the week was so lousy. but it's friday.... the friday before christmas.

ped crossing said...

And I am off for 2 weeks!

the rotten correspondent said...

Oh, honey. I want to get on a plane, kick your computer and hammer out your bumper. I'll bring kleenex.

But...the week is done. Over. Everyone is still in one piece and the computer is at least letting you blog (not that you need it, you just like it. I understand perfectly).

Deep breath.

LCM said...

What a time you've been having! I am sorry. Hopefully things will starting looking better very soon.

Susan said...

The week before Christmas is usually very stressful, but it seems you got a triple whammy. So sorry. Hope things start looking up from here!