Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Problem with 5th Graders


The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas break can make a teacher seriously rethink their career choice. My students, whom I love dearly, are expressing their enthusiasm continuously. They cannot be quiet. They are constantly talking. They are wound up and stuck at a desk so the only they can move is their mouth.

Don't get me wrong. They are good kids. And they are not being bad. But they cannot keep quiet. If I inhale, they take it as an invitation to talk. If I walk to my desk, you guessed it, they talk. I would worry that it is just me, but the rest of my team and my partner's substitute (who had excellent classroom management before she retired) have said the same thing.

If they were younger, I could use the whole Santa thing. It is working great with my own children. But 5th graders don't believe in Santa any more. So what is a teacher to do. I am counting the days until break. I have six more work days. Then 17 days of just being a mommy.

In the mean time, I need to learn the life cycle of a star for tomorrow. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

I can't tell you how much I feel for you. I have a fifth grader (and sixth and tenth graders) and every time I've spent any time in their classrooms lately I feel a little light headed.They are just buzzing they're so excited.

I don't know how you do it. Hats off. I couldn't teach for all the money in the world.

ped crossing said...

Thanks!