Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye Christmas


Twas the night before New Years
And all through the house
The remnants of Christmas were all strewn about.

The stockings were flung on the sofa without care,
Emptied of goodies and abandoned there.
The children have played with all of their toys,
And lost half the pieces just being boys.
And I in my sweats with Ducky by my side
just want to rest and leave Christmas behind.

The family room would soon look very bare,
The chair would replace the tree that once stood there.
Away to the closet I flew like a flash,
To bring the boxes and bags for the trash.
The Christmas lights tangled, a big ugly mess.
I cursed as I prepared them to rest.
The ornaments were all removed from the tree,
And piled on the couch to await the decree.

Out of the boxes, the tissue spilled forth.
Ready to wrap ornaments, decorations and other holiday cheer.
Each ornament was then wrapped up with care,
To be safe and sound until next year.

The snowmen and Santas,
The reindeer and creche,
Were all wrapped up in tissue,
And packed in their Christmas storage box.

The tree that once filled our house with a glow,
Was dropping needles on the tree skirt below.
Out into the slush the poor tree did go,
Cut into bits to fit in the yard debris bin.

The boxes were packed up
And put in the closet.
The mantle now empty,
The room seemed so bare.
I collapsed on the couch
With a big sigh.

It took me all day
To remove all the clutter.
Our house has returned to its previous state.
In time for the new year I say,
Happy New Year to all and to all a good night!


I am looking forward to another wonderful year filled with family, friends, fun times and more ups than downs in 2008.

5 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

I hope 2008 is all you are wishing for. I'm so happy we've gotten to know each other this year!

LCM said...

It's so sad to take the stuff down. I am such a Christmas fan, but the second all of the presents are opened, the mom in me just wants to take everything down because we should be done with it right then, right?

ped crossing said...

I normally leave the snowmen out until February, but this year I just wanted it all put away. One less thing hanging over my head.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan said...

Love your poem! We'll leave our tree up until the weekend. Sometimes I just can't wait to take it down, but this year I am really enjoying it.