Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Bane of My Existence


Once upon a time, I knew nothing about Star Wars. I had managed to have a childhood that excluded having any part of Star Wars. And that is saying a lot since all three of the original movies came out during my childhood. In my house, if it didn't have a horse, what was the point? My mother and brothers opinions that were inflicted on me.

So when I met Ducky, he was shocked and dismayed that I had never seen it. And he quickly rectified the situation. I was indifferent to it for a very long time. I cannot remember how many different versions of those movies we have owned over the years. And I could have lived quite happily that way. But then we had children. Boy children. And from day one, he was quoting Star Wars lyrics to them.

And now they are obsessed too. I cannot get away from Star Wars! The boys go around singing or humming the theme song almost constantly. They act out Star Wars. They talk about Star Wars. They want to play Star Wars Lego game on the wii. They know all the characters. Now instead of one Star Wars fan, who I could shoo off to talk to like minded people, I have three.




Not even the Christmas tree is safe. Darth Vader is front and center of the tree. One of the few ornaments that the boys put on the tree. He just exudes holiday spirit doesn't he. They are battling with light sabers as I type.

I know that plenty of girls like Star Wars too. But they don't get into it nearly as much as these boys do. When sweetP was five, he was Darth Sidius for Halloween. He wanted to be Darth Vader, but I told him that was too hard to make. In our house, we eat, breath, sleep Star Wars. And I just want a little variety.

I think I will just put it in the category of "Y, it is the question and the answer."

4 comments:

laurie said...

darth vader on the christmas tree! that's scarier than my mutant leering monkey head.

i've seen star wars, and probably some of the sequels, but i'm just not much of a sci-fi fan and really all it is is a typical good-vs-evil movie.

looks like you're going to have to endure these Star Wars discussions for some time to come, though...

merry christmas!!

Susan said...

You are a very smart woman. Y is the answer to most boy questions. You've done yourself a real favor accepting it so early in parenting. Merry Christmas!

LCM said...

I love Star Wars as does my dear Fiona. Last year when she was housebound, nothing made us feel better than to lay in bed, flip on our HBO Channels and see if any of the 6 Star Wars movies were running, as usually they were and if we were lucky we could watch the Eastern feed and then flip it over to the Western feed. I think her favorite is the 'inappropriate' one. That's what our 5 year old called the PG-13 rated one. She could watch all but a few parts. So, she could really talk shop with your boys!

the rotten correspondent said...

Honey, welcome to my nightmare. Not only are all the boys (of all ages) in my house Star Wars fans, but my husband is also a huge Star Trek geek. I have a Vulcan Death Ship AND a talking Spock ornament that says Happy Holidays! Live long and prosper - every time the lights get turned on.I feel your pain, believe me.

Sadly, feeling your pain doesn't make it go away.