Friday, August 31, 2007

Five Long Days


After five days back at work, I am exhausted and happy. And still looking at a mountain of work. The good news, our room is no longer condemned. Just yesterday I had serious doubts if it would be ready by Wednesday. Now it inhabitable and appealing.

Unfortunately, I don't know what I am doing with 29 eager (I hope) fifth graders in just a few short days. That must be why we start school after Labor day. I get to labor all weekend getting ready.

But only after my kiddo's go to bed. They have missed me this week. Their Mom-mom has been here (my mom-in-law, love her!) to play with them, keep them safe and do my dishes and laundry. I would be sunk without her. And buried under Mount Laundry and Dirty Dish Hill.

All good things must come to an end and she is headed home tomorrow. That signals a return to routine and new adventures. SweetP starts first grade on Tuesday. SweetE starts preschool the following week. I am back in the classroom for the first time in five years. Still fitting in soccer, swimming and all of those grown-up things (committee meetings, book group, grocery shopping) that we do.

Every now and then I want to be a kid. Then I remember having to eat liver and onions and the feeling passes.

1 comment:

laurie said...

i remember being a kid and being so nervous the night before school started that i couldn't sleep.
i was lucky that i had wonderful warm and caring teachers throughout grade school, and that made it quickly very nice.

i bet your 29 kids feel the same way about you.