Thursday, August 23, 2007

D Student

Do you ever wonder what kind of student someone was to get the knowledge they needed to do their job? I have decided that the people who built our house must have been D students that just scraped by. A D is technically passing (I disagree that it should be passing). But those students that just scrape by and do the bare minimum are not the ones that I want fixing my car, or me or building my house. Unfortunately, I appear to have gotten a house built by D students. Square, plumb, level, straight and a whole host of other building related terms have not been applied to my house.

We put in the closet door last night. It should not have been a challenge, but it was. The opening was not wide enough or straight enough to properly install the door. So we fudged it. And that bugs me. A lot. I like to do things right and have them be as close to perfect as I can get. So now I can only hope that the trim will hide any noticeable flaws and everyone will just see my beautiful new door.

2 comments:

laurie said...

well, you would not like my house, then, ped. it's about 100 years old, and while i have no idea if it was plumb and true when it was first built, it definitely isn't anymore. we live two blocks from RR tracks, and the whole house shakes several times a day when trains go by.

the bathroom door closes nicely, which is probably the most important door. but the bedroom doors? um, no. and you can see a wide wedge of air at the top of one of them....

we like to think of it as "quirky." instead of "crooked."

ped crossing said...

We loved our previous house, built in the early 40's. It was solid and square and had lots of character. We never intended to purchase a newish house. But things don't always go as planned.

With all the fabulous technology and tools available today, there really is no excuse for there to be a 3/4 inch difference one side of the door and the other so you have to tweak the jamb to get it to fit. Our bathroom door requires that you lift the door to get it to click. Ah, well, it appears that we will just make it work. I have learned you need to remeasure at every step.