Friday, August 24, 2007

Frustration, Clarification, Movin' On

I was painting my new closet doors night and thinking about my last post. My frustration is with the lack of attention to doing your best. Before I could paint the door, I had to sand off the saw dust that had been primed when it was made. Is it too much to ask that they wipe off the dust before they paint it?

So to clarify my D student comment, it is the person that is perfectly capable, but is satisfied with "close enough". When I taught high school I had a bunch of students that were in remedial math because of their lack of effort, not their ability. That darn perfectionist within me sometimes thinks everyone else should be too. Or at least always do your best.

So moving on. My favorite greeting card of all time (I am still kicking myself for not buying it) said, "Pick up the shattered pieces of your life and move on." So I am. The project only has a few nail holes to fill with putty and some touch up paint. And the stair treads. Once it is 100% complete, I will post pictures.

So I am back to work on Monday. New adventures await.

1 comment:

laurie said...

well, i get that. completely. it's all what you feel passionate about, isn't it? i'm not a perfectionist when it comes to home repairs because i am very bad at them, never really learned how to do them, and so am intimidated by that kind of work. (though even i know to wipe down the sawdust before you paint. you should see the lovely door i refinished last summer..)

but at my place of work, i get very frustrated with people who do jobs they call "quick and dirty." you will never hear me use that phrase. i hate it. it might be quick, but there's no reason for it to be dirty.

so you and i are sort of different sides of the same coin.

i look forward to your pictures.