Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A New Year

Today was the official start of the new school year. The week leading up to it is fun but surreal, today the story started. I have 25 new children to get to know, love and be exasperated by. So far, it seems like a great class. But those early days can be deceiving. I had a former student call on the first day one year and tell me point blank that it all goes downhill after the first day. It was funny even if there was some truth in it.

But I am hopeful that the year will be productive and fun. It is a rare day that I don't like going to work. Even when my students are driving me nuts, I still want to go. It is like having children of your own. There is non-stop entertainment, except you get to send them all home at the end of the day. But for the next 10 months I will be bringing them all home with me everyday. They are about to become a part of the fabric of my life.

1 comment:

Kim said...

My mother always called her class "my kids". She's almost retirement age now, with 29 years of "kids" behind her. Sometimes when we're out, a complete stranger will walk up and hug her. Sometimes she knows who they are, sometimes she figures it out after they're gone, and sometimes, they remain complete strangers whose life she once touched. It always delights her.