Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And Yet I Cannot Sleep

I am sitting here tonight. I can barely keep my eyes open. My arms are heavy and tired. My head is throbbing. I am exhausted.

And yet I cannot fall asleep. I can lay down and close my eyes. But then I feel wide awake. My brain is still whirring away. I am aware of every sound, light and movement in the house. Tomorrow I will be meeting my students parents. It would be so nice if I could be rested.

I am so tired of not being able to sleep. I am just so tired.

4 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I have the same problem, especially now that I'm under so much stress this last year, laying awake for hour after hour, my mind whirling and my stomach churning. I started taking a benadryl about 30 minutes before I go to bed, which in theory lasts only last 4 or 6 hours but does work all night. Sometimes I have one sitting out in case I do wake up and can't sleep, which is rare except to go to the bathroom. I may be groggy for five minutes when I wake up in the morning, but it's not bad and there are no lasting effects. If I forget to take one, I'll lay there forever and realize that I should be at least sleepy and know then that I forgot. If you haven't tried it, do.

laurie said...

ah, that's miserable! forget the ambien, that stuff is scary. i agree with the poster above---benadryl, or tylenol PM works to konk me out. and even i wake up 4 to 6 hours later, at least i got 4 to six hours of sleep.

good luck.

laurie said...

(also helpful: massage. acupuncture. yoga.)

Suzie Petunia said...

No one deserves a good nights sleep as much as a teacher. I hope sleep came quickly and that meeting the parents went alright.