Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Teacher Bliss

We are writing letters to President Obama in class this last week. The kids are really excited that we are really going to send the letters. It is not just another writing assignment, but a writing assignment with a purpose. We are putting them on school letterhead to make them official. I am hoping that we get some kind of form letter back on official white house stationary. That would really excite them.

In these times of prescribed curriculum and discontinuation of projects due to lack of time, it is fun to see the kids get excited about something. Last week they watched the inaugural address and witnessed history. There were lots of ideas that all of my students picked up on and were interested in. But it has been a week since the speech, it was ancient history in the 5th grade world. So today, I found the weekly radio address on iTunes. It included some of the ideas from his inaugural speech and I thought it might reignite their fire as I try to get these letters finished. So I played it for them today before we got to the business of writing. And they were intent on the screen, quiet, and focused. Ahhh, bliss.

Then they set to work. Some of them set to work. Others decided it was the social hour. Decidedly, not bliss. But, slowly they all settled in. And for approximately 90 seconds, the room was silent as every student was hard at work. More bliss. Until someone saw the look of bliss on my face and commented on it. All eyes turned in my direction and that was the end of the bliss. It was a moment that showed me that no matter where their skills or interests are, I had captured them. It is teacher nirvana, 100% engagement. It is rare and elusive.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Well done you! Glad you got to have your moment. You just never know what is really going to capture their attention.

Jadie said...

Wow--a teacher's dream! And expressed so well! So, what were some of the ideas that they picked up on?

The dresser project is going to be strung out across two months. The cleaning garage project (which, you remember, has to come first) is a two person job, and Saturdays have been booked with Bugman's wrestling tournaments. My husband and I have managed to sneak in about 5 hours total--but wow, this is a full days job--after that, we can conquer the dresser! I'm very excited and will definitely post pictures. How're your goals going?