Saturday, January 10, 2009

Self-Employed

I have a gripe. There are far too many people that think that self-employed = unemployed. That people who are self-employed are available any time of day to collect packages, hand over keys and take care of other things that the working people can't be home for. That standard also of applies to people that "work" from home, they aren't really working anyway. So imagine if you are self-employed, working at home.

Self-employed people don't get paid if there isn't work to be done. If they play solitaire or cruise Facebook during the workday, they are cheating themselves of valuable time. That is not to say that breaks are not necessary, healthy or beneficial. But the weight is squarely on their shoulders. Especially if they have a family.

And I have a rant. There are certain new people in our life, temporary thank goodness, that fall into the above category. I wish they would just move already. They are under the assumption, knowing virtually nothing about us, that Ducky is a stay-at-home dad. They have been informed that he works for himself. On more than one occasion, they have acted put out that he wasn't available at the exact time they needed a favor. That he would have the audacity to not be home when they needed a package collected. What else does he have to do all day? I think they are rude and presumptuous based on their demands for our time and lack of consideration.

We have worked hard to juggle our little family. We sacrifice a lot to be able to have a parent home with the boys most of the time. Ducky gets up well before the world begins to stir. He is half done with his official day before most people even arrive at work. After work, he continues to be available to clients, take care of our boys, help with the house and take care of our needs. We like to be a good neighbor, we take in trash cans when people are out of town. We let the people across the street know if they forgot to close their garage door. We are friendly and helpful when we can. Most of our neighbors are the same, we live in a great place. But, just because someone happens to be home most of the time, does not mean they should drop everything to do your bidding. It does not mean that we will be home all the time. Do not expect us to change our plans because you do not want to change yours. Do not complain if we have to be gone when you want something. Can you tell that I am annoyed with someone. A specific someone.

I really don't like it when people think their needs trump everyone elses. Favors should be asked, not demanded. I just don't like rude people. And self-employed is not code for unemployed.

End of gripe and rant. I feel better now.

8 comments:

-Ann said...

Good for you to get the rant out. And so true, too.

the rotten correspondent said...

I stayed at home with my kids for a long time. I stopped working a month before my oldest was born and didn't do anything full time until I went to nursing school when my youngest was three. So all told, I was a SAHM for eight years.

And in that period of time I can't tell you how many people treated me like the Fed Ex man because I was "available". How many times I heard "what do you mean you can't do what I need?" Or my personal favorite - "It's not like you're working or anything".

I know exactly what you're talking about and I sympathize. Some people have heads like cinder blocks.

laurie said...

wow, i had no idea people were so insensitive and demanding. yikes.

my brother works at home, cares for his two kids, designs web pages, etc. but he's so crabby that im pretty sure none of the neighbors have ever dared ask him for anything.

maybe ducky should try that.

Kim said...

I think I need to come visit and show Ducky how to give what my husband fondly calls "the look". When people ask me for nutty things because they think I have nothing to do but watch television and eat bon bons all day, I give them "the look". No one has ever asked for something unreasonable twice.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Time is so important to each of us. Sorry that your husband's time has seemed less important than your neighbor's. Good for him for keeping his priorities straight! Looking forward to seeing you tonight and finally seeing your house!

Jane said...

I sooo understand this issue. I used to do translation work from home. I learned the hard way to set boundries.
Now I park my car in the garage so no one knows if I'm home or not and I never answer my house phone before 11 am. I use the answer machine to screen my calls.

jwatson said...

Sounds like much of the issue is with people's expectation of help and their pissy-ness when Ducky is unable to accommodate them. They are forgetting that it's not a favor if you demand it.

Oh, and on a completely different topic, this is me pouting. My blog is not on your frequently read blogs list. Next time you're at home doing nothing, would you do me a favor and add it. XO - your sis

Anonymous said...

This is dreadful! I'm so sorry. . .