Friday, January 23, 2009

The End of my Woes?


My sister and a good friend have both been swearing by the chiropractor to get rid of migraines for years. I, however, was leery. It was another thing, like the food allergies, that my parents have been talking about for years as well. Not to cure migraines, but to cure any of your woes. Not in time to do anything about my migraines when I lived at home and had health insurance of course.

So, like the food allergies, I dismissed it and went on my merry way. I am not saying that food allergies don't exist. Quite the contrary, I know they do, I have them. The kind where you swell up and die. My parents do not. They are allergic to anything edible, breathable and drinkable. And it changes with each new allergist they see. Hence my dismissal. So to my parents, you are old and have not taken good care of yourself, you will have aches and pains. It is not because of something you ate. They do not read this blog, so I will not be in the doghouse any more than normal.

But back to the chiropractor. The other reason I never saw a chiropractor was that it wasn't covered by my insurance until October. But the ten migraines in a month pushed me to try something new. That and I hate taking pills and I am up to three each night. Any more and I will have to get one of those pill minders. Hello, geriatrics.

Ducky's office shares space with two chiropractors. How convenient. Two chiropractors that take my insurance. Much more convenient. And I stopped in when I was at his office and one could fit me in within the hour. So I took the plunge. I make a smashing impersonation of a bowl of rice crispies next to a microphone.

She works from between my shoulder blades up to my skull. I leave all limber and loose. I have not felt like that in as long as I can remember. I carry my tension and stress in my neck and shoulders. I have seen her twice a week for three weeks. And I have not had a migraine since the night after my first treatment. It was probably already in process before I saw her.

With that success, we have decided to see how I do if I only see her in a week. I will be kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner if I stay headache free.

The other funny thing, one of my students told me that I should see a chiropractor for my headaches back in the fall. I had told my students that I get a lot of headaches, so please be nice and quiet for me. Hey, it sometimes works. She came up to me one day and said that her dad was a chiropractor and that he can fix people who get headaches. I would clone her in a heartbeat if I could, she is an amazing kid and not one to make stuff up.

So a headache free me is a happy me. I have a huge sense of relief. I don't feel like my life is going to completely overwhelm me any more. I do not feel frustrated that I am missing out on life and fun all the time.

7 comments:

jwatson said...

Yay! Glad to hear you are getting relief. But, don't be too sure about your mother - she's Queen of the internet surfers. But since your blog doesn't talk about horses, you're probably safe :)

laurie said...

excellent! i carry my tension in my neck, too, and massage has helped a lot.

i just don't go often enough, because it's not covered by insurance and it takes a lot of time.

but i am so happy for you.

ped crossing said...

z - I would never know since she never talks to me anyway.

laurie - I have been doing massage for years and it hasn't been helping. My trade finally ran out and now I have to pay, so I get the time and money thing.

Kim said...

That's wonderful! I hope it keeps working for you.

Career Guy said...

Good fo ryou--glad it's helping. I went for a chair massage once (they were free at a conference I was attending, and the masseuse couldn't find any tension. Huh. Don't hate me because I was too relaxed.

-Ann said...

I'm so glad this is working out for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm key-stoke-less!