Friday, November 7, 2008

A Stroll


It has been a busy week. I usually stay late on Fridays and attempt to get a handle on the week that just finished as well as the week coming up. However, I volunteered to help at sweetP's school with their craft night. I came home early from work so I could spend an hour with the boys before scooting out the door again.

So shortly before six, I headed out the door into the rapidly darkening night. As I strolled along on my way to school, I remembered one of the things that I love about fall. I was walking through the leaves on the sidewalk, enjoying the crunching, rustling sounds they make when you walk through them. It is the only time that I drag my feet to make the dry leaves fly into the air. I slowed down to enjoy the light crispness of the air, the sound of the leaves and the relative quiet of the neighborhood.

I hope the rain holds off for the rest of the weekend, so I can get some more good walks through the leaves before they get flat and soggy from rain.

2 comments:

Ranell said...

Yeah, the squishy, soggy leaves don't have quite the same effect! This post made me want to go take a walk right now, except that it's after midnight and it's raining!

laurie said...

oh yes, the crunchiness and that musty smoky smell of dry leaves. i love it.

i always want fall to go on and on.