Friday, November 21, 2008

Cold Feet


Winter has arrived. I can always tell when it happens without a calendar or a thermometer. I will be in a perfectly warm house (70˚) and I will be cold. The chill seeps in through the layers and settles in my bones. I radiate cold.

I don't live in a particularly cold climate. Can you imagine if I did? But, during the winter when the humidity is up and the temperatures are down, I can't get warm. I walk around in sweaters and socks. I sit under a very warm, very soft blanket when on the couch. I have to stop working at the computer to warm up my ice cold fingers. I have to wear socks to bed.

My feet are my thermometer. If they are cold, the rest of me will feel cold as well. Once they are cold they are impossible to warm up. Last year I laid in bed one night for two hours waiting for my feet to warm up. They still felt like ice. After two hours! I will sometimes put them on Ducky's leg (he lets me) and I make his leg cold to the touch, but my feet are no warmer.

I have special booties that go in the microwave (buckwheat hulls or something). I have warm, fuzzy booties to wear while watching tv. I have fuzzy socks. I have learned that if my feet are cold, then I must put those on before I go to bed or else I can't fall asleep because my feet are so cold.

What I do love about winter is sitting in the house with a fire in the fireplace. It vanquishes the cold and makes me all toasty and warm. I love to just watch the flames and listen to the crackle and pop. I will happily sit in the dark watching the flames for hours. So I have to make sure that I have some free time if I am going to build a fire. I also love my snowman socks. It is one of the joys of teaching that it is acceptable to wear goofy socks.

Update to the Perfect Turkey: We made them today in class. No one had time to finish, but we had fun. I still love my perfect turkey. I haven't had time to do any else perfectly this week.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I'm the same way. I am sitting on the sofa with the laptop, a blanket on my lap, socks on my feet, a dog snuggled beside me, and I just asked hubby to make a fire.

laurie said...

for me, it's the hands. i have great slippers. but i don't wear gloves in the house.

Ranell said...

Thank goodness for soft fuzzy socks, but I also have to be pre-emptive or my feet will stay cold for hours. And I also do the same thing with my hubby's legs, but it doesn't always do the trick.

Love the snowman socks! I'm not a teacher but I still wear goofy socks.

Anonymous said...

Who got you microwaveable socks? That is the funniest thing I've heard of---and it sounds like I need some too. Tucker was asking me if he could warm up a brick in the fireplace so he could take it to bed with him. Teachers! Filling my kids' heads with wild historical facts!

I have a nose warmer. My friend crocheted a lovely tube with tassle on the end, complete with ear hooks, and gave them to our group one Christmas. It even has an instruction booklet. Ask me when I'm back and I'll show you. . . but I can't picture you wanting to borrow it.

jwatson said...

But you didn't say what % of your students were allowed to make the turkeys. Did the carrot work? I'm a geek, I need data!